Building first comp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerofjam

Solid State Member
So, I've been trying to build a new computer for a while now, but since I know basically nothing about getting started, I asked my friend to help me, who had built his own previously. I don't know very much about picking parts and whatnot, so I basically listened to what he and others said, so bear with me. So he showed me a few things, then came upon this set up..

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

COOLER MASTER RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

The last two (power supply and case) come in a combo package thing.

I'm just wondering what you guys think of it, because I'm not 100% sure of how reliable it may be and how everything connects and will work with each other.. Just want to get a second opinion to see your guys' ideas so that I know for sure that this is all right. Any advice or changes that you guys think I would be better off with would be greatly appreciated. The price right now seems pretty good. And I still need to find a monitor as well..

Just a thought, I think a 700W PSU might be a bit much for that system, you could save a few bucks there if you needed to.

well for one, you cant use ddr2 ram on an am3 only mobo. and that mobo has an older chipset.

i would get these instead, and i think it comes out to the same amount, maybe even less.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

What if I got those, would this 600W psu that I found with a different case work with those? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.231324) Saves me some money too, like CoZ said.

Also, would the graphics card still be okay with that new setup as well? Someone recommended this (Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards), would that be more ideal?

yea that would work. although idk why newegg has both the 600w and 700w of that same model psu listed for the same price. since they are the same price, id just get the 700w.

600w combo is $134.98

700w combo is $134.98 too

if your budget is still tight, you could check this combo out

for the 4890, i would personally get the sapphire because of the better cooler, but the xfx is $25 cheaper and has a lifetime warranty.

yea that would work. although idk why newegg has both the 600w and 700w of that same model psu listed for the same price. since they are the same price, id just get the 700w.

if your budget is still tight, you could check this combo out

for the 4890, i would personally get the sapphire because of the better cooler, but the xfx is $25 cheaper and has a lifetime warranty.

That is weird about the 600w and the 700w being the same price, but I ended up going with that power supply combo above, because I would love to save as much as possible.

So, I decided to go with the two combo's you posted earlier Muffin (the CPU/mobo combo & the hard drive/ram combo), combined with that power supply, and the graphics card from the original post (Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards).

I decided on this monitor, looks like a pretty sweet weekend deal, plus 22" should be pretty snazzy. (Newegg.com - Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors)

So, I would like to order tonight or tomorrow (so the weekend deal doesn't expire), but is everything good at the moment? All parts compatible and whatnot? I would really love to get this thing and replace this crappy computer asap! :p

Yeah, I was wondering about that. How hard would it be to take the CD drive from my current computer to put it on my new one? I'd rather just do that and save some money, but if it's too much work I'll just buy a brand new one I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom