Current computer is hot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladimars

Solid State Member
my current computer that has to last me the next couple of months is running in the high 70's and low 80's under load ... is it just me or is that wayyyy to high for a non overclocked cpu/videocard. So far I've had no trouble with crashes and as of right now its been playing music on itunes and world of warcraft for about 6 hours straight. I was just wondering if it'd be better to have a better cooler of some sort ...

Using what program?

Normally, all that is needed is getting higher CFM fans, cleaning the Dust out and perhaps new thermal paste.

Is your cpu 80c or your video card, or both? if your cpu is 80c thats something to be worried about. Like ste said, cleaning out your computer usually drops temps a bit you may want to get a can of compressed air. Try get realtemp and verify those temps. Also has this been a problem since you first had the computer?

What specs do you have? Might be able to get a cheap cooler to see you off.

Err ... I bought the computer custom built. The cpu and video card are both around 80c's when i load them with just regular programs ... it does take like 20 things open but it'll get up there. What would be the best program to find temps under load?
Also i took off the side cover (because it's already cleaned in there .... first thing i did when i bought it) and it dropped about 10c's so i don't know if it's such a big deal now ...

cpu is a q6660 at the regular 2.4 ghz,
video card is Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS at 700 mhz with memory clocked at 1030 mhz
idk about the case ... but i just looked at a temperature scaling program and while playing wow my video card cycled between 90 and 100 celsius!! and 72 c at idle ...

wait a sec ... i think I may have found a culprit ... using evga precision (came with computer ) my fan for the GPU is set at 30% on auto. I kicked it up to 90 and the GPU temp is now 66

Yha, but at 30% auto it is normal... Still 66 idle is way to high. 100C is just about cutoff for the card.

I think your problem is lack of airflow. You need to try and get the case, and parts cleaned up of dust.
Simpky turning up the fan isn't fix, unfortunately...

I'm surprised you haven't had crashes and lockups.

So pop open the case and do some cleaning.

Try opening your side panel, its a temporary fix but it drops my cpu temp by 3-4c usually. My case has horrible air flow ATM. Waiting on my new fans to arrive.

Thats pretty hot for just idle temps. If you still have the Intel heat sink and fan ditch it and pick up an after market one. I did and my temps dropped around 16c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom