First Time Builder - eMachines T6410

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egr2012

Beta member
I'm a first time builder, so I do not know, to any extent, where I should go.

My computer has:
2x 512MB RAM Installed (894MB RAM, displayed in Computer Properties).
**This computer can hold up to 2GB RAM.
1x Xpress 200 Integrated Video Card
**PCi Express Slot Available.
1x AMD Athlon 64 3200+ / 2.2 GHz Processor
1x ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Chipset

I'm looking to build this computer to run Mainstream games (i.e. Sims 3), or more heavily RAM "Taxing" games.

I'm looking for a video card to work with a new build, and also any other upgrades or suggestions you guys have.

Thanks,
Egr2012

Your computer is running a socket 939 CPU. The s939 is dead and is now three generations behind the current one. I am also running a s939, so I know they are still viable. ;)

Your CPU is also a single core. That can hinder you in a CPU-intensive game. Finding a dual-core s939 is possible, but not cheap.

Upping your RAM would be a quick and easy upgrade. It would help you out a bit.

Having a PCI-E slot is a huge plus. You would have to upgrade your power supply for any mid- to upper range cards though as you probably have a 300W or less PSU.

Bottom line: Swap out your RAM for a couple of 1 gig sticks and install a graphics card (and possibly a stronger PSU if the card requires it) and you will be able to play Sims 3. Check the requirements of the game and look for a card that falls into the Recommended Requirements, not the bare minimum.

Thanks alot Trotter. Next, like you said, the first thing I will do is upgrade my RAM to 2GB.

But, I have another issue, the CD Rom drive will not open, at all. (I know this isn't an issue of computer building).

Is there any information that could help me try to repair this issue?

When I try to open, there is no clicking noise or anything, it just does not respond.

And further, are there a variety of video cards that you guys suggest?

Thanks.

Here's a good set of RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNT - Desktop Memory

As for GFX cards, go with what your budget allows. Honestly, if you have a chunk of change to spend on this, use it to buy a new rig (mobo, CPU, RAM, GFX card) and reuse what you can.

Check the power connector to the drive. Also look to see if the light on it comes on when the computer is booted up. Drives do die eventually. If it is dead, replace it with a DVD burner ($25-35).

Sweet, Thanks again, Trotter.

I pulled the T6410 computer out, and opened the case and looked at the CD-Drive. I messed with the cord, nothing looked out of the ordinary. Next, I booted the computer up.. and the LIGHT CAME ON! And for some odd reason, the computer booted up extremely fast, (Is it possible, the computer was trying to look for the drive before it booted?, Maybe my bios have the CD Drive set first?). When it booted, it said it found My Drive, and it runs great.

Thanks!

As for rebuilding, I'm going to go ahead and order the RAM soon.

Very possible. Your computer bios probes for devices. If one disappears it can slow down boot severely.

You should compare the cost of new ram/gfx/(possibly)Psu to support the card, against the added cost of a motherboard and cpu. If you're ordering those three, and spending a decent chunk of change, you should realize that upgrading the cpu and motherboard might cost less than that and end up giving you a much larger advantage.

A much better computer than yours can be built from scratch for $400 or so. $300 or so if you reuse your hard drive, cd drive, and case. Though I wouldn't advise reusing the case...you can get one at most big pc stores for $20-$30, usually one made by that store (microcenter, Fry's, ect), and you won't have to deal with what might be proprietary connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom