Case Fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkpitt45

Daemon Poster
Well my dad is ordering an external hard drive to put his pictures on so I figured it would be a good time to order some case fans.

Right now I just have the cool master 120mm fans that came with my case, the centurion 534, they don't seem to push much air. I also bought a zaleman 80mm fan to go on the vent on the side panel, blowing directly onto the heatsink. That dropped my cpu temp by 2 degrees idle, and I can't even hear it with the resister plugged in.

I was looking at these fans Newegg.ca - Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Case Fans
Not too expensive, since I need three so thats about $40 after shipping + tax. They're supposed to be relatively quiet and move a good amount of air. But isn't every fan supposed to be that :p?

The fan on the core contact; is it worth replacing? Would there be a noticeable difference in cooling going with one of those scythe's instead of the one it came with? Noise isn't too big of an issue, although it is probably the loudest fan in my case when the gpu's is turned down to idle.

One last quiet question, are PCI slot coolers any good? Newegg.ca - VANTEC SP-FC70-BL 70mm PCI Slot Case Cooler - Case Fans
That one is not overly expensive (except shipping is half the price of the fan..) Do they go into PCI express? or Just the plain PCI slot? It Looks like you could just cut away some of the plastic mounting fin things and it'd be good for either. Just curious as to where it would fit on my motherboard.

Thanks.

Scythe makes good fans, I'm using a few myself. But they are a little costly. For basic case fans I usually buy these. Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Fans & Heatsinks,Case Fans,Logisys Computer,120mm

Looking at the Noise Levels listed is usually hit or miss as it all depends on how far away the dBA meter is placed from the fan when tested. And the manufacturers don't use the same testing procedures, they use whatever shines the most light on their product.

For your cpu heatsink this is probably the best single fan for performance. But it's large, fairly loud and it's not adjustable.
Newegg.com - Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan - Case Fans

This is another good cpu fan and it's adjustable so you can decide on the noise/performance setting :D

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE FM122 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Those logisys end up only being $2.00 less for 4, apparently the scythe's have free shipping, but its not marked..

I think I might just get the 4 scythes. I'll try one on the core contact, otherwise I think I'm gonna cut out a nice hole on the top of my case and put it in there as an exhaust fan maybe.

On a side note; is it that hard to take wires out of the plastic connector and put them back in? So I can mount this 80mm on the outside of my case and be able to close it again. It mounts fine on it, but there's no way to fit the cord through to plug it in.

That'd end up being too expensive and take too long to get here.. Looked around and apparently you can just use a paper clip, been trying with that and a small little screw driver.

Edit: That was easy once I figured out how to get it.. Much better than ordering one of those. Thanks for the tip though. That fan came with little rubber screw things, similar to these Nexus Ultra Soft Silicone Fan Mounts - Set of 4 Products Model: SFM-1000 [SFM-1000] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
Without those I would've never been able to mount the fan on the outside due to the curvature of the grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom