Basic VS. Dynamic

Status
Not open for further replies.

808Alaska

In Runtime
OK so i was wondering if it would be possible to make both my internal HDD and external HDD dynamic drives and have them set up to be mirrored or as Raid 5 so it would be like automatic back ups?

Also, in order to create a dynamic drive, does the drive have to be (Unallocated) in order to convert it or can you convert it with 1 full primary partition already on their?

thanks in advance and sorry if in the wrong section.

You can convert from basic to dynamic with a partition already there, it does not have to be Unallocated. It becomes a "volume" which is another fancy word for partition but volumes are partitions on dynamic disks. Just remember, you wouldn't be able to go back to basic but why would you want to anyway. Just a little FYI there.

As far as the RAID question, I think you should be ok to do that, except I wouldn't swear to it.

ok and can you do this in vista home premium because i went into disc management and i tried right clicking the drive to switch it to dynamic but theirs no option to do so. am i not doing it right or is their another way? or a certain place to right click? thanks for the help.

AHHH!!!! that makes sense! lol. well scratch that thought i guess. thanks so much or the help though, i really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom