1gb to 4gb upgrade worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
So I am in Singapore now and I can pick up 2x2gb PC2-5300 Kingston ram for 35-45USD which is pittance in comparison to the cost it would be in the UK. I currently have 1gb in my tx1000 with 64bit win7 RC and its quite quick however the 2ghz amd turion 64x2 is quite slow and the geforce 6150 go is lacking. This is my only pc for 8 months so I will be using it for all my techy needs and want a speed boost with general use low end gaming and some media encoding possibly thrown in.

Would the jump to 4gb be worth it with such lackluster cpu and graphics?

From my own research I know that I am limitted to 128mb memory on the onboard graphics so gaming will be a big step.

Yeah, it'd be worth it, otherwise you'll be stuck with only 1GB for the next eight months. Which while not terrible is a little for modern use, for example with W7.

Outta curiosity btw, what are you doing in Singapore?

Dad lives in Singapore so its my second home so just bumming around like usual except getting a better tan in the process.

Should I jump to 2 or 4gb in your opinion?

You may as well jump to 4GB considering the price. It's really up to you, though; do you think you'd be able to use over 2GB?

Also that is awesome, wish I had a family member who lived further away than Scotland :p

So I did some haggling and managed to work a very good deal $86SGD (32GBP) for 2x2gb of corsair ddr2-800 ram with lifetime warranty. Now my laptop is flying through normal performance the win experience has taken my hdd score up aswell strangely although graphics is now my main problem and unavoidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom