vibrating fan hurt my comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z e i g

In Runtime
i kinda did a poor fan instan on a heatsink on my mobo.
but the fan is a little bent and it vibrates a little bit. but nothing bad enough that u can see it. u just hear it a little.

can this horribly ruin my comp?

What heatsink was it mounted on? If it was mounted on the Northbridge, southbridge, ram, hard drives, you SHOULD be fine, as long as it's not moving the parts. If it's the CPU heatsink, I strongly advise you buy a new fan.

idk, i have a stock dell 2400.
its not on the biggest heatsink that comes wtih a fan, its a smaller one, about the size of a dollar (coin).

my comp only has 2 heatsinks that im aware off.

i havnt run it yet incase its harmful

Fans are cheap. You should replace it. If it's vibrating then it's probably slightly out of balance. And if it's out-of-balance then there's a possibility that one or more of the fan blades can break. And if a blade get's thrown at the right component damage can occur.

kay well it was my own ghetto way of cooling this heatsink, it wasnt built for this but i need to know if the vibrations will hurt it.

pics ahoy!

k well the white fan is my ghetto instal. powered by USB, its on that little heatsink under the big one (big one is green)

same thing just with the green cover taken off revealing the big heatsink

closeup on the fan and smaller heatsink its attatched to.

okay new news!
i just foudn out that the thing vibrates cuz the heatsink isnt tight enough against the mobo!

how can i fiz this? cuz when i push on the heatsink the things silent!

ya here ya go.

its basicly some metal clips coming down and hooking on to the mobo (well on to metal loops on the mobo)

also quick q-
can u run a comp on its side, will that hurt it at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom