Dead modem, issues with new one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
I have Verizon DSL, first off. Recently we were hit by lightning some how, and it took out our old modem (Westell wireless router/modem). Now they sent me a new Actiontec wireless modem/router, which seems to work fine.. for wireless. Now I have the Asus A8N32 motherboard, and for the longest time my ethernet port was always fine. But out of no where, I suddenly started getting "Device cannot be started" error. I reinstalled drivers, etc. Nothing worked. So I just purchased a new NIC card, and that solved that issue.

Now, the problem I have now is the cable is not being picked up my router or the new network card. Does this mean the wire is bad? This is wire that I crimped myself, that has been working for years now.

The new modem does not pick up my ethernet cable at all, none of the lights come on when it is plugged in. Is my new modem bad or would it be my wire? I hopefully can test this tomorrow. I have been connecting to the internet through my tethered Samsung Omnia phone! The download/upload is 80/70KBps, which isn't bad, but its slow!

Just check with a new cable. Sometimes when you make them yourself one or more of the wires can be barely connected. They will work fine but when you start moving them they can become disconnected.

^ +1. I make Ethernet connections at my job (crimp RJ45 connectors on Cat 5 and very rarely Cat 6 cable) and so I can say from experience that you should check a new cable first as Hefe said.

We get bad crimps sometimes, but we have a "test crew" that goes right behind us to check these things so we know right away. It is helpful to know our success rate as a result, and my thought is though the cable worked for you for years, a wire could have let loose or two. Give a different cable a try and let us know ?

Yea, I have to find a cable that long. It's about 50-100 feet to get to my PC. It might be easier to recrimp new ends on it.

My motherboards ethernet port tested the wire and said "Failed". It doesn't give any kind of details though.

Yea, I have to find a cable that long. It's about 50-100 feet to get to my PC. It might be easier to recrimp new ends on it.

My motherboards ethernet port tested the wire and said "Failed". It doesn't give any kind of details though.

The cable was the culprit. Grr, I was hoping that wasn't it but it only took me an hour to run a new wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom