Random HDD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
There's something I've always wondered - what's that grinding sound that old comps make?
For example, I'm on holiday at my gramp's house right now, and every time the computer is asked to load anything there's this grinding sound, same with other old (anything more than 3-4 years) computers I've encountered. I presume it's the hard drive, just wondering why it makes that sound.
And how come newer hard drives don't? The drives in my computer never make a sound (and a couple in machines I made for others which I occasionally use).

Thanks,
- Yami
P.S. I have other random questions I'd like to ask but I can't remember any.

Edit: Wait, I remembered one:
You know how you get different CPUs of the same series (i.e. E8400, E8500, E8600), which have slightly increased clock speed as a result of higher multiplier? Well, what's the actual difference between the E8400 (3GHz, 9x multi, ~£130) and the E8600 (3.25GHz, 10x multi, ~£200) - as in, is there actually any difference between the two CPUs? Is it just some arbitrary limit Intel (in this case) has on their lower-end CPUs to raise the price of the higher-end ones? Or does it actually cost Intel £70 more simply to increase the multiplier?
I know I'm not being very clear with this question but that's part of the reason I'm asking it :p I would google/bing it but I don't know what to look for.

I know on the HDD question that the "grinding" sound is the actuator arm moving. On the Raptors with the little window you can actually see it moving...and it's really fast.

anatomy%20of%20hard%20disk%20drive%20image%204.jpg

Yes, that grinding is the arm moving while it is seeking the platters. Older HDDs were notorious for noisey clacking and grinding. Obviously today drives are much quieter thankfully.

Newer drives are designed to run quieter and more efficiently. One technology in particular allows the data to be written vertically comparted to horizontally (end to end) pieces of data like older drives.

+1 rep to both of you, except to synergy since I need to spread rep around a bit apparently :p

Anyone got any idea on my other question? Mak/saxon perhaps?

I was also curious about why it costs that much more for a higher multiplier. I have found that an E8400 can oc basically the same, but with a lower multi, i.e. same fsb/etc., showing that the chip does not have a drastic difference.

I've googled, binged and couldn't find anything really.

I was also curious about why it costs that much more for a higher multiplier. I have found that an E8400 can oc basically the same, but with a lower multi, i.e. same fsb/etc., showing that the chip does not have a drastic difference.

I've googled, binged and couldn't find anything really.

Actually my friend has a very similar setup to mine, same mobo+heatsink, 'cept he has an E8500 and he gets about 4.1GHz compared to my 4GHz.

Edit: Wait, I remembered one:
You know how you get different CPUs of the same series (i.e. E8400, E8500, E8600), which have slightly increased clock speed as a result of higher multiplier? Well, what's the actual difference between the E8400 (3GHz, 9x multi, ~£130) and the E8600 (3.25GHz, 10x multi, ~£200) - as in, is there actually any difference between the two CPUs? Is it just some arbitrary limit Intel (in this case) has on their lower-end CPUs to raise the price of the higher-end ones? Or does it actually cost Intel £70 more simply to increase the multiplier?
I know I'm not being very clear with this question but that's part of the reason I'm asking it :p I would google/bing it but I don't know what to look for.

Well I think its actually more of a marketing strategy, of which I cant exactly be sure why marketing does what it does except to sell to the broadest market that they can...

However, I don't think it really costs Intel or AMD any more or less until you get to the research and development aspect. Of course changing dye processes would cost more to use newer parts I would suppose. Not sure about that. But for example, going from a 45 to 32 nanometer dye process obviously would cost more, but between models ? I wouldn't think so if they used the same process. I think the differences also may be because of the input and output data bus design, like increasing data flow by increasing tracks on the chips would cost more in design time, experimentation with materials (such as Intel has done in more recent times).

Like Intel started having heating problems ( there were these microscopic abnomallies appearing on the circuits due to what is something like a "solder bridge" but thats not what they called it - sort of like cirucits heating up and then leaking together because of the circuits being so close to each other ). So they started using slightly different materials on the newer chips. I read this at Intels site, not sure of the exact link right now, at the moment.

I've found that the grinding noise is usually followed by hard drive death. I've had plenty of older style drives that were quiet, for a while.

As for cpu's, they take samples from each batch and then they test and rate them. But sometimes they just need more of 1 model so they'll use chips with a rating higher than they normally would. Those are the ones we all want :D

I've found that the grinding noise is usually followed by hard drive death. I've had plenty of older style drives that were quiet, for a while.

As for cpu's, they take samples from each batch and then they test and rate them. But sometimes they just need more of 1 model so they'll use chips with a rating higher than they normally would. Those are the ones we all want :D

The particular comp in question has made the grinding since it was new, still going strong after like 4 years.

Anyway thanks ^_^ Rep for you.

Another random question; what does 'SLI-ready memory' mean? I don't really see how RAM can be SLI-ready...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom