2nd computer no net?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
I have a Linksys workgroup switch. I have my comcast modem plugged into port one. My main gaming rig in port 2 and my server in port 3. My main gaming rig has internet and improved internet from just the modem being plugged directly in to the comp. My server has no such luck. No internet for it. Why is this? The switch shows ports 1,2 and 3 connected but yet only port 2 has internet. (port one is line in from modem).

I am clueless about networking really.. Is there a tutorial on how to check this? Ip's are different. the computers detect each other but I can't access the net.

What is your server hardware and OS ? Maybe something is disabled in your list of services (I am thinking of Windows Server 03 or 08, if you have either of those). You might have to restart a service. Like kmote said, right now it could be almost anything.

Actually, I just call it my server since I am hosting vent and l4d with it. Windows XP Home. I just can't get it to connect to the net. It shows it is connected to my gaming rig but but no the cable modem.

Is your gaming machine Vista or XP ? If it is Vista, maybe you will have to make sure that the workgroup name is the same as the XP machine. I think someone said that after SP2 there was a fix for that, but I cant remember if I got that right or not.

Anyway, you could try that as I found out once a long time ago that they have to have the same workgroup name (the defaults are either "MSHome" I think it was called on Vista, or "workgroup" it is called on XP)

EDIT: Nevermind this post, I realized you said they can see each other.

I have Windows7 and Now I am getting nothing. I set the network up the same as the 7 machine on the xp one and still no net and not recognizing it anymore. Can't create a network disk because I don't have a floppy and it give me no other option.

Have you tried rebooting the XP machine, may be just as simple as that. It will go through the whole getting a new IP address, DNS resolution thing, etc. upon reboot. Might help.

Yes. Many Times.... I am a noob with networking. Never networked 2 machines with different operating systems. 32 bit xp on the server and 64 bit 7 on the game rig.

Hmmm I'm not sure at this point what to tell you. The Windows 7 64-bit thing is out of my league as I haven't worked with it thus far. Stay tuned, I'm sure someone else here can help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom