Status
Not open for further replies.

eesotereh

In Runtime
Heres what I would like:
POWERSUPPLY: Corsair Power Supplies (750 Watts CMPSU-750TX - Quad SLI Ready
CPU: Intel� Core� i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
FAN: XtremeGear Ultra Triple Heatpipes Cool Copper Heatsink CPU Cooling Fan
MOBO: (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable�3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: Corsair 6GB (2GBx3) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 16X PCI Express

HDD: Seagate Data/OS Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
HDD2: 320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive

And, I'm wondering if Cyberpowerpc or ibuypower are trustworthy and reliable.

That's not a very good build, the RAM is slow and the power supply is way overpowered for that setup (you could save $50-60 with a cheaper PSU and it would still be plenty). And the graphics are terrible, but I suppose that only matters if you're going to be gaming. The other parts are good, though I don't know anything about that motherboard.

I don't know if those are reliable companies or not, but I can say you'd be much better off financially and performance-ally building it yourself.

That's not a very good build, the RAM is slow and the power supply is way overpowered for that setup (you could save $50-60 with a cheaper PSU and it would still be plenty). And the graphics are terrible, but I suppose that only matters if you're going to be gaming. The other parts are good, though I don't know anything about that motherboard.

I don't know if those are reliable companies or not, but I can say you'd be much better off financially and performance-ally building it yourself.

Hmmm, okay, I will then try to shoot for 600, 650 on the PSU. I figured to leave a little juice in case I OC. Most likely i won't be OC'ing though. Now the RAM, what do you recommend then? I always though Corsairs were nice...?

Corsair RAM is very nice yes, however you should get 1600MHz instead of 1333MHz.

That build is never going to use over 400W even if you OC it to extremes :p Good PSU to look for would be Corsair 550VX, if you ever plan on upgrading the GPU, 450VX if not.
The important figure when it comes to PSUs is amperage, not wattage.

Corsair RAM is very nice yes, however you should get 1600MHz instead of 1333MHz.

That build is never going to use over 400W even if you OC it to extremes :p Good PSU to look for would be Corsair 550VX, if you ever plan on upgrading the GPU, 450VX if not.
The important figure when it comes to PSUs is amperage, not wattage.

Oh I see, is that why most i7 920 users Ive read online seem to be using 900w - 1000w PSU's. The key is in the amps then but the users never publish the amps

Oh I see, is that why most i7 920 users Ive read online seem to be using 900w - 1000w PSU's. The key is in the amps then but the users never publish the amps

It's odd that they're using such vastly powerful PSUs, an i7 doesn't really take up much more power than a core 2 quad (it does, but not much, about 10-20W I think).
Anyway, CPUs don't take up nearly as much power as a mid- or high-end GPU, they're the real power guzzlers. Right now most people who have i7s are enthusiasts, and most enthusiasts tend to be avid gamers and therefore are fond of high-powered GPUs.

Are you going to be gaming at all?

It's odd that they're using such vastly powerful PSUs, an i7 doesn't really take up much more power than a core 2 quad (it does, but not much, about 10-20W I think).
Anyway, CPUs don't take up nearly as much power as a mid- or high-end GPU, they're the real power guzzlers. Right now most people who have i7s are enthusiasts, and most enthusiasts tend to be avid gamers and therefore are fond of high-powered GPUs.

Are you going to be gaming at all?

Thats the key there, the GPU. And I'm not even in need of a high end GPU. I wont be gaming at all. This is strictly for audio stuff, like mixing etc.
If this is the case, what should I be shooting for then? 400, 500 watt?

Thats the key there, the GPU. And I'm not even in need of a high end GPU. I wont be gaming at all. This is strictly for audio stuff, like mixing etc.
In that case the 8400GS will be fine.

If this is the case, what should I be shooting for then? 400, 500 watt?
Yeah, something around that; make sure you get a respectable brand, i.e. Corsair, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic.
This would probably be your best bet:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Will power everything you have easily.

Edit: However as Paton said if you are ever going to upgrade the GPU then you might want to go with the 550VX.

Are you going to be overclocking btw? If not then you may as well stick with the stock fan.

Edit2: Good grief I've reached 1,400 posts... didn't realise I'd been here so long :p

In that case the 8400GS will be fine.

Yeah, something around that; make sure you get a respectable brand, i.e. Corsair, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic.
This would probably be your best bet:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Will power everything you have easily.

Edit: However as Paton said if you are ever going to upgrade the GPU then you might want to go with the 550VX.

Are you going to be overclocking btw? If not then you may as well stick with the stock fan.

Edit2: Good grief I've reached 1,400 posts... didn't realise I'd been here so long :p

I might, might OC. Most likely not.

The stock fan from the webasite configurator is Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready 800 watts combined output. With 600 watts 50A output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom