Not sure what memory to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WasTech

In Runtime
My daughters computer is real slow it only has 512mb RAM. It's an Acer Aspire 5102WLMi Laptop. I want to upgrade it but it's an older 2006 model. So RAM doesn't seem to be plentiful at least not exactly what this calls for.

So I'd like to know if it matters if the 533mhz is higher like 800mhz and the PC2-4200 is now 6400? I know the DDR2 matters and pin 200 and volts. Does PC2 matter or can it be PC? This is what memorystock.com says it calls for - 533MHz DDR2-533 PC2-4200, 200p SODIMM, 1.8v. It max's out at 4GB, 2GB in 1 slot. crucial.com says the same. It is dual channel.

I'm looking at Newegg because it's where I buy usually. If you know of a better deal on compatible elsewhere let me know. So which ones will work with this Ltop?

The search is Ltop mem, 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Memory,Laptop Memory,200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM

Thanks

If memorystock.com is correct about the type of RAM required, then you should look for something these lines:
2x2GB 200-pin DDR2 SO-Dimm 533MHz
However Newegg has no such kits in stock, the most they have is 2x1GB kits. However you could buy two of these:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Laptop Memory Model F2-4200CL4S-2GBSK - Laptop Memory

There are also other ways of increasing the speed of your daughter's laptop, such as defragging, cleaning out old drivers and programs and disabling startup programs.

So does this mean I can't use higher numbered RAM because in my Dtop those numbers I pointed out didn't matter as much as the others that I know matter?

Yea, like I said it's slim pickins for that RAM. If I buy 2 of them will it be dual channel?

It's only 512mb RAM doing those things won't matter I know I already did them. Plus she uses AOhell AIM. Somebody tell me why that thing has to use so much of resources.

Thanks

How bout this at cdw.com? $53.99 - 7.99 ship

Crucial memory - 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) - SO DIMM 200-pin - DDR2
Memory - 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) - SO DIMM 200-pin - DDR2 - 533 MHz / PC2-4200 - CL4 - 1.8 V - unbuffered - non-ECC

If you are not sure what type of ram to purchase, then use the memory search feature at Kingston Technology Company - Where To Go To Find Memory.

As for the speed of the ram, if you are currently running FSB 533 and you have no way of testing to see if FSB 800 is going to work, then you are better off sticking with the FSB 533. Most of the time, you can put in a FSB 800 chip and it will clock down. However I have had the occasional notebook that will only take the slower speeds. Especially when it's an older model. Most important thing is to make sure you are getting DDRII Ram. Any other type will not physically fit. (Yes, I have had some people purchased DDR II Ram thinking that it will make there DDR II computer run faster :facepalm: )

Hi,

I'm ready to buy this RAM. What do you think?

Kingston 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory Model KVR667D2SO/2GR - Retail $24.99

I read what you said above but some of the reviews for it had people that had Acer Aspires and it worked for them. The price seems good free shipp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom