Sound Card Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danjb

Baseband Member
Hey,

I've just got a new computer, but I have no sound. Now a DirectX Diagnostic says it finds no sound card, but the guy at the shop is pretty sure he installed it, so I thought perhaps I needed to install drivers for it. Trouble is, I don't know which ones I need as I don't even know the sound card!

Basically I have no idea where to start. Give me it real simply ;)

Thanks,

- Danjb

You could go into Device Manager. Go to Start>All Programs>Control Panel>System>Hardware, then click the Device Manager button. There you could open up the Audio devices link and see what's listed there.

To physically check to see what you have, and if you feel comfortable with opening up the computer you could shut it off, leave the cord plugged in, remove the cover and look at the card, even unscrew it from the chassis and take it out so you can look at it more closely. You might be able to find a model number or something that you can Google.

Another way, would be to download PCWizard, install it, and run it. Look under the Audio section of PCWizard, and it will tell you what it is (model number and so on).

Thanks for the clear response!

In Device Manager the only section relating to sound is "Sound, video and game controllers", which contains: Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices and Video Codecs.

I figured I might have to open up the computer, though I might give that PCWizard thing a try first.

However, I have some news before I try any of that...

I just installed SP3 and I got a "Found New Hardware" message, relating to an Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus. When I tried to install it, however, I got a Code 10, "This device cannot start."

How can I get this working? And will that fix my problem?

EDIT: Installed a driver I found online and it works! Thanks!

Thanks,

- Danjb

To physically check to see what you have, and if you feel comfortable with opening up the computer you could shut it off, leave the cord plugged in, remove the cover and look at the card, even unscrew it from the chassis and take it out so you can look at it more closely...

you should also turn it off at the wall though as removing a component while the board is still receiving standby voltage can be damaging

edit: 8000 posts :D yay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom