Upgrading PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman1391

Baseband Member
I am looking to upgrade my PC since i now have some cash and i can do that. My system is as follows

My computer
Intel core 2 duo e6300
gigabyte ga-965P
evga Nvidia 7900gs
250 gig segate 7200 rpm hd
20x lite on dvd burner
powered by rosewill 550W atx powersupply
with 3 gb patriot ddr2 800 memory
inside of an aspire X-discovery
all shown on a 22 inch acer widescreen + 19 inch acer widescreen

i am thinking about upgrding my processor and video card. i had a couple of questions

1) If i get a quad core processor what will work with my current motherboard.

2) would it be worth it to Get a whole new mobo/processor/memory combo with a core i7 setup.

3) Any recomendations for a middle of the line video card that is better than what i currently have? (im guessing its not going to be hard to find somthing better)

anyways ive been out of the loop for awhile since i havent done any builds so any input would be appreciated.

1) If i get a quad core processor what will work with my current motherboard.
Any Intel Core 2 Quad will work with your motherboard.

2) would it be worth it to Get a whole new mobo/processor/memory combo with a core i7 setup.
It entirely depends on how much you want to spend; a decent i7/mobo/DDR3-1600 is about $5-600. But you would definitely notice a great increase in performance.

3) Any recomendations for a middle of the line video card that is better than what i currently have? (im guessing its not going to be hard to find somthing better)
Many recommendations, what is your budget for a video card? You have a decent power supply so you're not limited in that respect, unless you want a GTX295 :p

First of all thank you for the response about the processor- this will definitly save me some cash as i won't have to replace my mobo or go with a core i7 system!

I would try to stay in the $175-225 price range for video cards.

i currently have a nvidia card- id like to stick with nvidia just so i dont have the software mess on my system for nvidia control panel and ati catalyst software eh i could reformat. . .still.

also i have never done the replaceing of a part as crucial in the system as a CPU. .will i need to reformat? i remember a friend telling me i didnt have to but maybey he doesnt know what hes talking about.

i currently have a nvidia card- id like to stick with nvidia just so i dont have the software mess on my system for nvidia control panel and ati catalyst software eh i could reformat. . .still.
Even if you get a new nVidia card, you'll still need to remove the drivers for your old card, and install the drivers for your new one. It's not exactly difficult.
Anyway, I too prefer nVidia and would recommend one of the GTX cards, either 260/275/280/285.

also i have never done the replaceing of a part as crucial in the system as a CPU. .will i need to reformat? i remember a friend telling me i didnt have to but maybey he doesnt know what hes talking about.
It's usually not essential to reformat after changing the CPU, however you can get driver issues which will need a reformat (or at least a repair install) to resolve. Personally I would reformat just to be sure.

The CPU is fine. I have the same one overclocked to 3.6ghz and 2 8800GT's in SLi. I used to have a single 7900GS with my E6300 clocked at 3.0ghz

It ran CoD at medium.

I would say make sure your CPU is clocked somewhere around 3.2ghz a 4870 1GB will be very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom