Looking into a system like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrowingChicken

Baseband Member
I'm considering purchasing this system, but I am curious what you all think - Newegg.com - CyberpowerPC Gamer Infinity 9800 Core 2 Quad Q9550(2.83GHz) 4GB DDR2 500GB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
(With Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon) - Desktop PCs

Could I build the same system for about the same price or less, but around this processor, and would it be worth it? - CompUSA.com | BX80569Q9650 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Processor BX80569Q9650

I already have this power supply, though the one in the system above uses a 700 - Newegg.com - Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Mouse and Keyboard are of no concern, and this is the DVD drive I currently have - Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

I have an emachines case so I'd probably need a new one.

Anyway, just curious about your thoughts. Thanks.

It's not worth the extra $100 when you can just overclock the CPU. I'm guessing ~$700 is your price range for a case with everything inside but an optical drive? I'll post a build later when I get a chance.

I don't know anything about overclocking. I don't know if i need a better power supply or not, right now I have a 500w.

It's not worth the extra $100 when you can just overclock the CPU. I'm guessing ~$700 is your price range for a case with everything inside but an optical drive? I'll post a build later when I get a chance.

Not sure where you get the 100 bucks, sa even compusa has them gthe same price, 349.99.
And the q9650 is 20 bucks cheper agt Egg.

Oops, guess I wasn't specific enough, I meant it's not worth the extra $100 for the Q9650 over the Q9550.

I'm just curious, is it a concern that the ram is only PC6400 or is that not a concern? Also, I hear Rosewill PSUs aren't the best. the OP might as well just keep his PSU, it can run the 4890.

I'm just curious, is it a concern that the ram is only PC6400 or is that not a concern? Also, I hear Rosewill PSUs aren't the best. the OP might as well just keep his PSU, it can run the 4890.

No to first two.

I wouldn't use the world only with DDR2 800, also Rosewill PSU's aren't the best, but they are very good for the price and very stable. 3rd would be an ok idea.

i just though he could go with a better psu, since the thermaltake has kinda weak amps. plus it doesn't have the required power connections. i guess he could use the adapter, but i read that using it should only be temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom