Does this sound like the hdd is going bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I was working with a computer that is rarely used but for a type of server. I use it as part of my whole house audio and to store some videos and music plus some other things. I was working with it a little when it just slowed down to slower than a crawl. I had to do a hard reset. When I started it back up (or tried) it looked like it started but when I came back the screen was black. I restarted again and it would go through the windows logo but only to a black screen. I tried again and again but to no avail. I then tried to boot into safe mode but it would not happen. I shut it down and turned off all power. I pushed the power button to release any current that was left. I restarted and it is now running. What does it sound like to anyone.

It sounds more to me like the power supply. Do you have another comparable one handy you can swap in its place to see ?

Easy test would be a hard drive test (extended) on the drive itself. Some BIOS come with this already, if not just download something free and test the hard drive. If it passes more than a few times you are fine and you need to look elsewhere. Easiest solution is to knock one thing out at once instead of taking on everything at once.

Determind if it the hard drive or not then move to another piece of hardware.

Ok, I see what you're saying Lex, but since he said it was running again, I figured maybe the PSU got a breath of fresh air (meaning the onboard circuitry of the PSU) may have been rejuvenated - like from hot caps or something - while it was off, rather than the hard drive coming back to life after resting.

But yes, by all means, you can try Lex's idea and exhaust the possiblilities of the HDD going bad, and then try other measures.

Ok, I see what you're saying Lex, but since he said it was running again, I figured maybe the PSU got a breath of fresh air (meaning the onboard circuitry of the PSU) may have been rejuvenated - like from hot caps or something - while it was off, rather than the hard drive coming back to life after resting.

But yes, by all means, you can try Lex's idea and exhaust the possiblilities of the HDD going bad, and then try other measures.
I agree with you oldskool. All i'm saying is it can be easily determined if it is a hard drive by running a simple test. I have seen plenty of hard drives at work fail testing but boot up 9 out of 10 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom