nVidia 9600GT on a 250w PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoobWithMoobs

Solid State Member
MY VIDEO CARD IS CRAP! I have a ATi Radeon Xpress 200, it struggles with The Sims 2! Imagine how awful it would be for some more challenging games! So I've decided to get a new graphics card...
I hav my eyes set on the nVidia 9600GT. But I need a better PSU, at least 350w apparently. So my question is, do i really need a better PSU? Or is this just a way of the SPU cartels getting more money out of me? Coz I reall don't wanna touch my PSU. I wanna just keep the current one.

Here are my PC specs:
Windows XP Home SP3 32 Bit
1.25GB RAM (with current card, but 1.5GB without current card)
Intel Pentium D 820 Dual Core Processor 2.83GHz
1TB HDD

The name of my psu is FSP250-60GEN. It has AC Input: 100-240v
DC output: +3.3v. If that makes sense?

So can I run the 9600GT on here? Will my PSU limit it's graphical powers? And could I potentially run Fallout 3 or GTA IV if I got this card? If not, why?

Thanks everyone!

I can't find any specific details on your power supply (what we really need is the wattage), but my guess is an almost definite no, you won't be able to run a 9600GT (or anything half-decent, really).

And could I potentially run Fallout 3 or GTA IV if I got this card? If not, why?
Fallout 3 might run okay with your CPU and a 9600 - provided you play at low settings and low resolution (no higher than 1280x1024).
GTAIV will go at a crawl (but the issue there is with your CPU, you'd need to upgrade it along with your GPU if you want to play GTAIV).

Anyway bottom line, if you want to be able to play games, you'll need to get a new power supply too, which we can help you with.

350w is even on the low side for a gaming system. If you have less than that I imagine you will need to upgrade.

Ok, but the problem is, I don't feel comfortable installing a new PSU. Seems kinda dangerous with such a high wattage/ voltage, etc. But I suppsoe I can get a guy in the computer shop to do so. What power supply brand and wattage would you reccommend?

Ok, but the problem is, I don't feel comfortable installing a new PSU. Seems kinda dangerous with such a high wattage/ voltage, etc. But I suppsoe I can get a guy in the computer shop to do so. What power supply brand and wattage would you reccommend?

There's absolutely no danger installing a PSU unless you take it apart and stick your hand in it and turn it on. And even then you'll just give yourself a nasty shock (and short the PSU).
But if you're not comfortable with it then computer shop sounds like a good idea.

Anyway, PSUs:
You get this 550W one which will allow you to upgrade more easily in future to more powerful cards, since it has 2 PCI-E connectors:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Alternatively this one is only $40 but will severely limit your upgrading capabilities, GPU-wise.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Basically when upgrading the PSU in a computer, firstly just unplug it. Then, look for the places on the back of the case that look like they are holding the PSU in place. Unscrew them, keep the screws somewhere safe, then remove it from the side of the case.

To replace it, put the new PSU in from inside the case in the same position as the original case, hold the PSU with your hand and screw one in.. then screw the others in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom