AGP Video Card Issues (Nvidia GeForce 6200A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superdad55

Beta member
Hey all,

I recently started having major graphical issues and i'm running an obviously older model card, Nvidia Geforce 6200A (AGP model). I've had them in the past but not to this level. I've done all the proper driver removal processes (safe mode, uninstall, driver cleaners, etc.). I've been to Nvidia and numerous other sites and the issues seems to be an old one I can't seem to solve and neither could anyone I found on any sites. The infamous :)freak:) nv4_disp.dll BSOD error. Even though the error has only popped up a few times I get massive screen tearing, serious loss of speed, screen flickering and reboots galore. Launching World of Warcraft is like watching a fireworks show of rapidly moving polygons and what not. The weird part is that when I uninstall the video card from device manager it loads up your standard VGA compatible driver and I cancel the install it will run without the lack of anything mentioned above except the obvious problem of not being able to play any games and loss of internet browsing speed (drivers are not correct so I get that). I'm at a complete loss as to what it could be and have d/led and installed several cleaners, tried numerous releases of Nvidia drivers including the most recent from their website. Normally I would be all to replacing the card but why does it have none of the same issues when the Nvidia drivers are NOT installed? Is it possible that a malfunctioning video card could interact poorly only with it's proper drivers? Considering the lengths at which I've been trying to fix this and the research that is all I can conclude at this point but I hope someone hear tells me i'm wrong. :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

My guess is that it's a heat problem; if the nVidia drivers aren't installed, the card can't be used anywhere near to it's potential, while when they are installed, it is - presumably this is creating more heat which is causing glitches and such.
Have you tried removing any dust from the card?

Of course it could just be old age; I think the 6*** series is like five years old or so?

My guess is that it's a heat problem; if the nVidia drivers aren't installed, the card can't be used anywhere near to it's potential, while when they are installed, it is - presumably this is creating more heat which is causing glitches and such.
Have you tried removing any dust from the card?

Of course it could just be old age; I think the 6*** series is like five years old or so?

Thanks for the reply. I thought heat and have done a floor fan into it for extra air just in case and I have cleaned the card of dust, etc. I keep it clean typically anyway. I still think heat is a problem. Actually I bought it less than 6years ago but old nonetheless. :) It was working pretty good with minor irritating issues then this. I'm thinking fried in some way is very plausible. Just downloaded Rivatuner and it show ok on heat.

Thanks!

The temp, is it just idle, or after you run a game.

ATI tool has a great tester/stresser, and yes, it works on nvidia cards.
ATITool - Overclocking utility for ATI and NVIDIA cards

Idle, haven't been able to run a game or keep the driver installed long enough without a lock up or shutdown. I can only use my computer without the correct driver installed. It just happened one day last week which got me thinking that the electrical storm that rolled through might have caused some damage. I am protected of course but those things are not full proof. I can't even do a system restore as a result of this issue. All the information I found before on this issue is years old and I never found a solution but I find that hard to believe after all this time it's still unsolvable. I'm going to do some more work/research into the heating issue.

Anyone else have any other great suggestions?

Thanks all!!

Okay, if you can't use it with the driver, I'd assume, that the storm did put a small surge, not enough to trip the bar, bugt enough to pop a worn out part.

Any chance you know of a person who could loan you a card to see it's your card?

Okay, if you can't use it with the driver, I'd assume, that the storm did put a small surge, not enough to trip the bar, bugt enough to pop a worn out part.

Any chance you know of a person who could loan you a card to see it's your card?

Actually, I forgot I even did this i've done so many things..lol.. I have another Nvidia card and I did try that and it does do the same thing. I believe it's all related to whatever the nv4_disp.dll issue of old was. I was also thinking my AGP port is faulty at one point.

The only reason I'm not just conceding to the faulty card or port is how when I have the basic VGA drivers installed it has none of the tearing, lack of speed, etc. It seems to me if it (the AGP port itself) was faulty it would be faulty with or without the correct drivers installed but i'm far from an expert.

I'll try the other card again with a clean slate because I didn't do a clean sweep when I installed the other card. I'll let ya know.

Thanks!

Yha, i've always used drivecleaner, but it's worth a try to redo with a sweepin.

Okay.. got another computer you can try the vid card in ;) Probably not.

Hmmm, This Nvidia post hzad ram issues.

Maybe try d/ling memtest and run that to check for memmory errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom