Bigger HD = Longer boot time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joowan

In Runtime
Hi, I bought a new WD Caviar black 1tb HD a few days ago and installed a fresh windows vista on it, however now its taking longer for my computer to boot up.

i count the scroll bars after POST, and from the 320gb and the little bars scrolled past me from 5 times (old HD) to 15 times (New hd)

old HD is the WD 320GB 7200rpm with 16mb cache

Hmm thats not right. The size of the drive shouldnt really matter as much as you are saying (x3)....

Did you make any OS modifications on your old HD that you haven't done to this new one?

nope.. didnt skin it.. or anything the 320gb was filled about 70% with music/pics and progs.. this one is a clean install.

is it possible to take longer since there are 2 HDs now instead of 1?

both HDs are bootable as well.

Hi, I bought a new WD Caviar black 1tb HD a few days ago and installed a fresh windows vista on it, however now its taking longer for my computer to boot up.

i count the scroll bars after POST, and from the 320gb and the little bars scrolled past me from 5 times (old HD) to 15 times (New hd)

old HD is the WD 320GB 7200rpm with 16mb cache

Hard Drive size has nothing to do with boot time, it's how fast the processor processes the data. If you have any start up applications when booting up your PC, try disabling the ones that you don't need.

Hard Drive size has nothing to do with boot time, it's how fast the processor processes the data. If you have any start up applications when booting up your PC, try disabling the ones that you don't need.

Startup apps execute when you log in (excluding essential MS ones), he describes the loading at the XP splash screen as being slow (more little scrolling bars).

Startup apps execute when you log in (excluding essential MS ones), he describes the loading at the XP splash screen as being slow (more little scrolling bars).

I simply read the First line of the post and gave my assumption that it was start up applications. Like I said joowan, the main cause of PCs taking too long to boot up is how the processor reads the memory and hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom