Help with First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

savageflow

Solid State Member
Hey, I'm new to here and I need a new computer so instead of buying one, I'd liek to build one. My Budget is $1000 but i would like to see if i can find better but cheaper parts.Here is what I had in mind for parts:

Cpu- AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Quad Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBOX - 3.00GHz, 6MB Cache, 1800MHz (3600 MT/s) FSB, Deneb, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket AM2+, Unlocked Multiplier, Processor with Fan
Buy the AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Socket AM2 CPU at TigerDirect.ca
Gpu- XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card Newegg.ca - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Mobo- ASUS M4A78-EM Motherboard - AMD 780G, ATI Hybrid CrossFireX, PCIe 2.0, USB 2.0, RAID, HDMI, DVI, VGA Buy the ASUS M4A78-EM Motherboard at TigerDirect.ca
Psu- CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Case- COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Ram- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK Newegg.ca - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Desktop Memory
HDD- Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - Internal Hard Drives

Everything looks good. You might want to step up the motherboard to something that has a 790 chipset though.

k thx muffin man, but are the parts worth the money or can i find better one for cheaper or the same price. Also how long do u think this computer will last me and will i be able to play high end games and do any homework or projects or just surfing the web hassle free.

Those parts are great and should last you a long time depending on what you plan on using the set up for. The graphics card is good and since the motherboard has 2x PCI-E slots, you can ad an additional one down the road for a boost in gaming performance if needed. I have that same cpu, mobo, and gpu and it's great. You picked out good parts.

k thx james and i forgot to ask which OS should i get?

You'd probably be best going with the Windows 7 release candidate, which is free until next March, or you could buy a copy of Vista which will come with a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it's released.

You'd probably be best going with the Windows 7 release candidate, which is free until next March, or you could buy a copy of Vista which will come with a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it's released.

so the windows 7 candidate is one of those like 30 day trials. Also im confused with the windows vista 32 bit, 64 bit and so on. What is the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom