Can't start computer because of "Out of Range" message

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicktheQuik

Baseband Member
I was recently trying out a new mobo and ram I got from a friend, but when I tried turning it on I get a red "Out of Range" message after the Windows XP loading screen. I tried this with another mobo and ram I had, same thing.

I then noticed one of the caps (The cylinder things) on my graphics card was busted open a bit, so my dad took that apart to try to fix it. So now Im using an old graphics card with my friends mobo, still out of range. I finally went back to my original mobo and old graphics card, but it's STILL out of range.

I have no way (That I know of) to change the resolution or anything of my monitor once the screen comes up.

try booting in to safe mode. if that dont work then you might want to try a repair install of XP or just upgrade to vista or try the windows 7 RC

Yea I get the same message with safe mode.

When you say a repair install of xp, does that mean re format or are those different things.

I think it's your monitor's refresh rate; the monitor can't run at the refresh rate the PC is trying to use.

You could try putting the hard drive in another PC, and deleting the graphics card drivers, so that windows will be forced to reinstall them, and use default drivers.

Ok either it's just not working, or Im not deleting the right stuff. I have my hard drive hooked up to my downstairs computer, when I go to try it again on mine I still get an out of range message. When I try to get the downstairs pc to boot up only my hdd, I get a similar out of range message on here too. (Monitor is smaller)

Are there any specific files/folders I need to delete that maybe I missed? There was an Nvidia folder right on my C drive, I think one in my programs folder, and then one was in my My Documents folder.

I think it's your monitor's refresh rate; the monitor can't run at the refresh rate the PC is trying to use.

You could try putting the hard drive in another PC, and deleting the graphics card drivers, so that windows will be forced to reinstall them, and use default drivers.

Ya, out of range is usually caused by the computer trying to display a resolution/refresh rate that the monitor cant handle. Although safe mode usually allows you to fix this.

Ok either it's just not working, or Im not deleting the right stuff. I have my hard drive hooked up to my downstairs computer, when I go to try it again on mine I still get an out of range message. When I try to get the downstairs pc to boot up only my hdd, I get a similar out of range message on here too. (Monitor is smaller)

Are there any specific files/folders I need to delete that maybe I missed? There was an Nvidia folder right on my C drive, I think one in my programs folder, and then one was in my My Documents folder.
They will just be install files for the drivers.
The drivers used by Windows will be in C:\Windows\System32
some of the .dll's for Nvidia drivers include:

nv4_disp.dll
nvcpl.dll
nvoglnt.dll
basically anything starting with nv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom