Solano Case, Appropriately Sized Cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INNOVATOR

Baseband Member
Anyone here have a Solano 1000 and if so, what cooler are you using?: Newegg.com - AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

I had my heart set on a True, but apparently it will not fit because of the large side-fan so I'm wondering what the next best cooler would be to use (I7, Gigabyte UD5, sli gpu). According to a newegg reviewer, he said that the cooler would need to be under 140mm. Is the Sunbeam Core Contact the best available to fit and do the job? Any other suggestions that are on par with True?

Thank you to those who respond! :)

yea, the core contact would probably be your best bet, but make sure you also buy the i7 retention bracket that comes separately so it will fit your mobo.

also, don't believe too many of the things the newegg reviewers say. sure you can read up on them to get a basic idea of whether its a good product or not, but theres no way to even prove that they know what they are doing. in this case, yes the core contact is good, just a heads up.

The case is apparently 8.1" wide, which is ~206mm. Take off ~3mm from each side (just in case the width of the case also included the sides) and you've got 200mm The TRUE is ~160mm, which leaves 40mm space for your mobo to fit in. 40mm is 1.7"
I'd say it'd fit.

I think what that one review is saying is that the fan doesn't work as well with a large heatsink. Because of the position of the fan it would blow directly onto the heatsink, which would be fine. Maybe he just doesn't like that.

I'd go with the antec as well, looks the same, from a better known brand, and its cheaper.

Thank you for the replies. The only bit of information I took from the newegg review is not being able to house over a 140mm cooler, but I didn't read into anything else. On other forums of those that had this case and tried to fit a True, it just didn't fit because the fan protruded too far inwards and unless you modded the side fan (basically making it external rather than internal) the side door couldn't be closed properly. I did look at the 900, but the Solano is cheaper after MIR and supposedly has better air flow/cable management according to other users...all personal preference in the end I guess.

Any recent and reliable cooler reviews showing how they stack up against each other? Just curious to see what else is available/applicable besides Core Contact... :)

Hmmm, just googled a few reviews on that case, and I see what you're talking about now. The massive fan on the side has a plastic funnel which sticks down even further into the case.
Personally I'd go with a different case, you're limiting yourself quite a lot with your current one.

If you're planning to overclock anything in your build, then getting a small heatsink is only going to limit you. Invest in a better case, which will allow you to buy a better HSF solution, which will in turn allow you to reach higher stable speeds.

There's the Xigametek Rifles or Dark Knights. But they're slightly more expensive for no noticeable improvement over the Core Contact I believe. Although the Core Contact is hard to get on, at least for my phenom II. Ended up having to bend the arms so it would fit on properly, but once you get it on its a great cooler. Never seen my temps above 50, except once when I forget to plug the fan back in and started running super PI. Idle around 30 OC at 3.5ghz with cool n quiet on, so its just as cool as the stock cooler at 3.ghz for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom