What Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxWin

Solid State Member
I cruised the power supply sticky in this forum, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while, and it didn't answer my question.

I'm thinking of building a system based on the Intel DX58SO board. It requires a 1x4 PCI Express power connector. I couldn't find a single power supply on Newegg that has this connector. Everything was 6-pin or 8-pin. No 4-pin connectors.

No pci-e is 4 pin. 6 is the minimum.

I think, you"re looking for the 4/8 pin CPU plug. Which all new psus have... especially if its i7 ready.

Better question is what else are yo specing with it?

edit: patonb = quickster :)

that mobo appears to have two power connections that connect directly to it, the 8-pin cpu connector and a molex near the x16 slots, both of which any decent power supply would have considering its a x58 board, so you wouldnt want to skimp on the psu. which other connection are you referring to?

btw, howcome you are set on going with that one in particular?

Haha Muffin.. It ook me 12 minutes to write that.. I had to dble check the mobo, and then had a phone call..
Then refreshed to see if it was answered... then posted.

Oh yha to make it worse.. you was ninja'd by a cripple...........

I'm looking at power supplies at Newegg, and I don't see a single one that has a 4-pin PCI-E connector. Can you link me to one?

I like Intel boards. That's the only Intel board for the X58 chipset in the ATX format.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

You board has the need for a 24pin, 8pin and a 4pin molex.
I believe the 4pin molex is the one you are looking at and every psu has that connector. No problems.

a 4pin pci-e does not exist as everyone has pointed out.

Get any corsair tx series psu that meets your power requirements and you will be fine.

Any reason why you are getting that Intel board? There are much better boards out there.
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

I agree with Hef, the intel board is a waste of money. 4 DDR3 slots FTL, among other things. Because 4 slots makes perfect sense for triple channel...

Okay. I might be flexible. What's the best core i7 board out there? I don't need 3-way SLI. I'm not a gamer. I just want seriously screaming multitasking capabilities and rock-solid reliability.

Any of the three I posted above. They are all great "midranged" priced i7 boards. I am partial to the Asus but all three will do you just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom