my dr/dvd drives aren't working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubbyjohnson

Beta member
Hi guys, I'm confounded with an issue using my IDE devices. I have a Sony dvd/r and a samsung cd/r installed in my desktop. I recently installed a new MB with Intel e-8500 core duo processor. The MB is ECS g43-tm v 1.0a. Ever since I installed the new mb my dvd is only identified even though they are both connected using an IDE cable with two jacks. It doesn't read the Samsung cd drive. I tried setting my CMOS and it will not recognize it. Now here's the weird part. I disconnected the Sony DVD and connected the Samsung...it saw it. When i disconnected the Samsung and connected the Sony...it saw that one two. When both are connected it only sees the Sony dvd/r for some reason. Also, whenever I play a dvd/cd in the recognized drive...I can't do anything else, i.e. surf the web, play WoW etc. With my processor power and 3g of RAM I should be able to burn a dvd while doing multiple other tasks no? I've updated drivers, screwed around in BIOS and I can't get the two to be seen at the same time, which also makes me wonder about the slowing down of my comp while anything is being read/written in the available drive. Any help would be so appreciated :) Thanks.

Have you checked the jumper settings to make sure that the DVD Drive is set to master and the CD drive is set to slave?

Holy Crap that worked! Wow I feel like an idiot. I remember the jumper popping out of one of the drives when I put them back in after rebuild, and I just popped it back on the wrong two pegs. DOH. Why do you think it kills my whole system to burn a dvd in the drive now though? I mean, the mouse sputters and I can't do much of anything when using the drive. Could it be burnt out? Thanks again and cheers!

Have you checked for a firmware update for the DVD Drive? That may resolve your issues when burning. Could be a known issue with older firmware.

What program are you using for burning and how much of your system resources is it taking in the task manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom