Need help overclocking a X2 Brisbane 3600+ (AM2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy has GTA:4 and its running really bad on his pc, same with mine. I overclocked mine from 2.0 to 2.7 (stable prime checked) which made it run great for me (our systems are practically identical) so were trying to OC his. We got it to boot stable at 220fsb (2.1ghz, it has a 9.5x multi) on stock voltage. Ram timings were 5-5-5-18 stock in bios, tried 6-6-6-18 with the 667 clock set instead of the 800 (oc will compensate) but we are stuck at 2.1ghz...

Can anyone help us to get this thing to at least 2.5? we have aftermarket cooling (scythe ninja) on it so temps aren't a big deal.

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ABIT AN52 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
RAM: Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Desktop Memory

Heres his oc page:

[CPU]
CPU Operating Speed: User Define
-CPU External Clock(Mhz) :220
-PCIe Clock :100
-Multiplier Factor :x9.5

Voltage Control: User Define
-CPU Core Voltage: 1.300 V
-DDR2 Voltage: Auto
-Hyper Transport Voltage: 1.20
-NB Voltage: 1.20
-DDR2 Difference Voltage: 0.0V

[RAM]
DRAM Timing Selectable : Manual
- DRAM Clock : DDR2 667 [stock 800]
- CAS Latency : 6
- RAS to CAS Delay (Trcd) : 6 Clocks
- Row Precharge Time (Trp) : 6 Clocks
- Min. RAS Act-Time (Tras): 18
- Command Rate: Auto
- CKE Base Power Down Mode : Enabled
- CKE Base Power Down by : Channel
- Memclock Tri-Starting : Disabled
- TwTr Comand Delay : 3 Clocks
- TrFc0 for DIMM1 : 105ns (installed here)
- TrFc1 for DIMM2 : 75ns (installed here)
- TrFc2 for DIMM3 : 75ns
- TrFc3 for DIMM4 : 75ns
- Write Recovery Time (Twr): 6 Clocks
- Precharge Time (Trtp) : 3 Clocks
- Row Cycle Time (Trc) : 23 Clocks
- Ras to RAS Delay (Trrd) : 3 clocks
- Memory Hole Remapping : Enabled
- Auto Optimize Bottom IO : Enabled

Those are the timings after messing with them. We noticed that the TrFc for dimms 1 and 2 were different (they are supposed to be the same) but thats all we can tell on this page. The rest looks like a foreign language to us. Help?

well i am not too knowledgeable with overclocking amd's but what voltages have you tried, other than stock?

my be would be just upp the bus speed and throw some voltage at it while monitoring temps.

Upping the bus speed results in BSOD, voltage increase doesn't really do anything, pretty sure this is pinned down to the ram... Im proficent in overclocking 939's and some AM2's, but for the life of me, i can not understand ram timings and what to do to ram when overclocking... so im confident that the problem lies within the ram and its timings... (hence the 105ns and 75ns timings on them, when i know that they should both be 105ns or 75ns)

stock voltage won't help it running higher than stock speeds.
Increase the volts to whatever is necessary in order to make it stable. But just make sure the temperatures don't get too high (voltage increases also increase heat)

*edit*
It could be the motherboard is not up to the task.

stock voltage won't help it running higher than stock speeds.
Increase the volts to whatever is necessary in order to make it stable. But just make sure the temperatures don't get too high (voltage increases also increase heat)

*edit*
It could be the motherboard is not up to the task.

I agree, I saw a couple of comments about this board not being good for OC'ing.

yeah stock voltage on that processor is 1.250 and we got it at 1.350v, it idles around 30-35 and loads in the low 50's...

Hopefully its not the motherboard... that would be the last thing we need, were strapped for cash atm and the first thing we need to fix on his pc is his motherboard to give it am2+/3 compatibality and his onboard audio/usb is dying + 3 of his 4 sata ports fell off... besides that its in great shape tho, never bsod's and sure as **** runs more stable than mine (even at stock)

maybe throw his cpu in on my board and see what i can get it to?

PROOF that im not bluffing lol

lol no offense taken, i think its more of a sport than anything... its sure as heck cheaper than going out and busting $100 on a decent amd cpu, or for when we bought it, we spend $60 on each cpu (new when they came out, top on market was 5200+ ~120) so taking a 3600+ to 2.5 is basically saving $60, becuase at the time we built the systems, we had a tight budget to get them running. Personally im planning on getting a kuma 7850, just worried about keepin that sucker cool, his GF's mom has one under a scythe and it bakes (high 50's if i remember correctly).. with tp, its not a transfer issue, the scythe really is that hot)

Ive gotten my 3600+ up to 3.0ghz before, but that was on my old board and i blew my northbridge in the process XD, thus why I have this board. They are hardy little cpu's, can max out crysis, fear, fear2, nfsu2, nfsc, nfsuc, perfectworld, etc... with 2gb of ram and 9800GT's, with decent fps. Only reason why I need mine to clock faster than his is becuase im driving a 22" lcd, he only has a 17" crt lolz, but we both need the power for gta4, its slightly bearable for me, but much needed for him. CPU upgrade will come in the future (next few months, i need to get a job) but till then we need something to hold us over. all we do is sit on our computers. from noon when we wake up, till 4am when we go to sleep... its our lives, we are true diehard nerdz haha... just mix some yardwork and dishes in there somewhere and maybe a dip in the pool :D

You should really have no trouble hitting 3.0 or 3.1ghz..

I've done it before using an Foxconn 590 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom