Lower 3DMark06 score with GTX260 vs. 8800GTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Feet

In Runtime
I recently installed a GTX 260 Core 216, upgrading from a 8800GTS 512. This is the card I got Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

When I ran 3DMark06 the GTX 260 only managed to score 13K. Even when I overclocked it, there wasn't much of an improvement. My old 8800GTS 512 could score 15k easily everytime.

I play Age of Conan online and even noticed worse performance with the GTX 260. I made sure to run driver sweper before installing the card and have the latest drivers for the 260 card.

Anybody have a clue why I'm getting lower performance? It should have been an upgrade right?

I recently installed a GTX 260 Core 216, upgrading from a 8800GTS 512. This is the card I got Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

When I ran 3DMark06 the GTX 260 only managed to score 13K. Even when I overclocked it, there wasn't much of an improvement. My old 8800GTS 512 could score 15k easily everytime.

I play Age of Conan online and even noticed worse performance with the GTX 260. I made sure to run driver sweper before installing the card and have the latest drivers for the 260 card.

Anybody have a clue why I'm getting lower performance? It should have been an upgrade right?

Driver sweeper is a useless utility IMO. I have switched from nvidia to ATi and didn't run it. Most driver installation software removes the old driver as part of the installation.
With all that said, there was no need to remove your old driver as it is the same as the current one for your card. Always check what products are supported.

Anyway, driver will play a big role on what your 3dmark score will be. What version driver did you run with your 8800, which one are you running now? Have you tried a different one?

Also, you didn't give enough information regarding your 3dmark score. Give us the detailed point break down, SM3.0,2.0,CPU. Then you'll be able to identify what the root of your problem is.

One more thing, when you ran 3dmark did you make sure that there wasn't a whole bunch of background processes running?

Driver sweeper is a useless utility IMO. I have switched from nvidia to ATi and didn't run it. Most driver installation software removes the old driver as part of the installation.
With all that said, there was no need to remove your old driver as it is the same as the current one for your card. Always check what products are supported.

Anyway, driver will play a big role on what your 3dmark score will be. What version driver did you run with your 8800, which one are you running now? Have you tried a different one?

Also, you didn't give enough information regarding your 3dmark score. Give us the detailed point break down, SM3.0,2.0,CPU. Then you'll be able to identify what the root of your problem is.

One more thing, when you ran 3dmark did you make sure that there wasn't a whole bunch of background processes running?

Actually most driver software DOES NOT remove all of the files associated with the driver. This includes registry keys and sometimes (not all the time) this can create conflicts with the new drivers when installed. I would also strongly recommend you always re-install the drivers when installing a new card.

The bottom line is that is pobably the score you should be getting with a GTX260. Yes, i realise this is similar to what you get with your old card, but 3DMark06 is an old program and does not take advantage of new hardware properly (this has been proven many times), the GT200 cards in particular. Vantage is a much more reliable benchmark.

For example, I also get around 16K in 3Dmark06 with my setup, which is ridiculous.

EDIT: Just read the bit about age of conan... test with other games, use the same settings you did with your old card. Also try Vantage if you have vista or win7.

Actually Meathead, He's getting much lower than my score, and we are almost identical stuff.. With his card being oc'd more nthan mine.

My score btw is a single card, and the 520hx too.

Hmm just a thought.. how's your temps?

Running WinXP if that makes a difference.

Did some tweaking in game and it seemed to help a little but performance is still not as great as the 8800GTS.

Also cranked the fan way up on the 260 so its running nice and cool.

edit: also overclocked the card a bit more and performance is still average.

Could be defective? Seems kinda weird, since it's definitely a better card then the 8800GTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom