Gaming port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
What is the tech mane for the gaming port that used to be on the sound card, I picked up some old but hardly used MS sidewinder stuff (force feedback steering wheel is what I want to get working) for next to nothing BUT it's the old connector type. Went to see if the egg had any adapters to go to usb but I don't know what they call this connector (been a long time since I've seen these) worst case scenario I'll put a old sound card (have a couple kicking around) and disable the sound card in the system just for the gaming port. on board sound is a better than these old cards so I might give that a go. But if you know of any other way to get the gameport in a newer system please let me know. Wanna try out the steering wheel.

Dauntae

gameport.jpg

I believe you are referring to that?

Its actually just called a game port, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to find a header for those cards though, look through eBay.

Also, I'm sure there's Game Port to USB 2.0 dongles available.

EDIT: Game Port and USB Header

well I wasted about $20 turns out MS wont make drivers for this one for anything past win98 there responce was to update my hardware, Guess I'll not buy MS hardware, seems most other companies update drivers and MS wants you to buy there newer stuff. AH well cheap impulse buy gone bad. Thanks anyway.

Dauntae

Game Ports are support up to XP. They are no longer supported in Vista/Win7 now. So if you are still using XP then you can still get drivers for the Game Port.

Its actually just called a game port, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to find a header for those cards though, look through eBay.

Yes, it was usually referred to as the "game/MIDI port" or "Joystick/MIDI port", because it also supported MIDI connections to keyboards, drum machines, etc.

I found the midi port but MS doesn't have drivers for XP for the force feedback steering wheel with MIDI connectors, boo for MS on this one but not much $$ lost, just a little disappointment is all.

Dauntae

Well trying to use a Steering Wheel that is from 1999 or before and expecting to get drivers for it now when Win7 is about to be released is kinda silly. No company support a device for that long. You talking 11 years later trying to find drivers. No compnay that made a gaming product back then has drivers up now.

The compatibility for the wheel is Win95 or Win98.

Microsoft Sidewinder Wheel (without FF) + Windows XP

That might get you the whell without force feedback. But something that old i doubt you will ever find drivers. You can Boo Microsoft all you want. But show me any company that still supports devices from that long ago.

It's not so much drivers for win 7 but they don't have any for XP either (force feedback), Knew win 7 was not an option but when doing a search there is a lot of info and threads about no XP drivers, Just kind of surprised me is all, However MS does kind of have the "update your hardware" a little more than most companies especially at the price of some of these things, This wasn't the first time this happened. They make some great hardware but don't update drivers as well as some other companies do for there accessories. But like I said it was a $20 impulse buy, My bad on this one.

Dauntae

It is a product from 2 years before even XP was released. In that time i am sure that Microsoft released a new wave of products, just like any other company would, and phased out support for these older devices.

So it has nothing to do with if Microsoft doesnt update their drivers, cause i can tell you that they do. I have drivers for my WebCam already for Win7 and it has only been finalized for a couple of weeks now. Not even nVidia or ATi have drivers ready.

If you think Microsoft is bad at this, you have not had a Creative product for long. They phased out the Audigy line before Vista was even released when the product wasnt even out for that long before Vista. It was cause they had the X-Fi line out.

Microsoft is just as much a business as any other company and they will phase out hardware just like any other company. Find my a game controller from Win95 era that has XP Drivers. You would be very hard pressed to find any. So it isnt just Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom