Need some help deciding

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwalsvick

Beta member
I need some help picking a new computer. I do some moderate gaming (L4D, Warhammer) and I'll also be doing some CAD'ing once school starts. I don't really have the spend the time building a rig myself so I'm looking at two options from HP.

1. HP Pavilion Elite e9150t

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920 processor
6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs] from 4GB
640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]

PRICE: $765

2. HP Pavilion p6180t

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q8400
6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
FREE UPGRADE! 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
Integrated graphics - Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 [VGA]

PRICE: $577

I will be upgrading the graphics card in either one so basically it comes down to the processor. Is the extra $200 worth the upgrade from the Q8400 to the i7-920?

Also, how are HP's when it comes to noise level, temperature, etc.

Since they both of the same RAM and such, get the i7. DDR3 1066 is terrible though. I didn't even know they had it.

When you say you don't have time to build your own, do you mean to put it together? Or to get the parts? Because I find that buying one from HP/Dell/etc sometimes takes longer than ordering parts does.

Also, when you're upgrading the video card, you might want to take a gander at the PSU to see if it will support it.

Well, I start school in a couple of weeks, and I have a ton of homework to get done before then. So I'd rather just be able to turn it on once it arrives rather than spend the time putting it together.

The mobo's on both will support a PCIe x16 video card, I'm just worried about the space required.

Also, with the discount that I get, I don't think I'd be able to build either of those rigs for a cheaper price.

Well, you might be getting a discount, but they will cheap out on the parts. Like Hikari said, the DDR3-1066 is like bottom-line.

The mobo's on both will support a PCIe x16 video card, I'm just worried about the space required.

Be worried about that, but like I mentioned before, be worried about what PSU is in there. It's going to be a cheapo either way, but you need to at least know the wattage. You may end up having to replace the PSU if you want too high-end of a card.

At that point, you're investing a decent amount of time in it anyway, so I would build...my two cents at least. It's up to you.

Thanks for your help guys, I chose to build myself a comp. Just ordered it a few hours ago.

AMD Phenom II X4 920
Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
3GB DD3 1333 RAM

etc etc.

came out to $840

Ya first time...

and I fail...

Just realized when I downgraded from the Phenom II x4 955 (AM3) to the 920 to reduce cost... I failed to change the RAM...

AM2+ will not support DDR3 correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom