Anyone ever encountered their HDD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyt4brainz

Beta member
giving a bogus reading?

I'm running XP Corporate Pro and have noticed that my 30GB harddrive seems to be giving what I can only assume is a "reverse reading".

It's telling me that I've only 2GB free space left but I have stripped the machine of all non-essential programmes and, according to totals available from Add/Remove, I estimate that I'm only actually using about 2GB!!

If tried defrag and scandisk (both 3 times) but to no avail.

Is there a virus doing the rounds?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

Hi Shyt

just a thought,, you wouldnt happen to have a digital camcorder or camera that you hook up to this pc per chance??

I had to troubleshoot a similar issue, and it turned out that the drive was full due to captured video pre-reformatted,,,

consider that about 25mins of captured video is the equivalent of 5-6 gb of disk!!! wouldnt take long to fill a 30gb drive ...

cheers,

Specs:

Thanks so far guys.

Amd Athlon 1gig CPU
512mb RAM
30GB Seagate 7200 harddrive
Motherboard is a KV7 (with newest drivers & Bios)
Creative CD/RW 10-12-32
Toshiba DVD Drive

Running
Win XP Corporate Pro
MS XP Office Pro
Dreamweaver MX
Fireworks MX
Intervideo WinDVD
Cool Edit Pro
Adobe Photoshop 6
Adobe 5
Nero 5.5.9
Winfax Pro 10e
Norton AV 2003 Pro

And several smaller progs (none over the 11mb mark). Also Kazaa Lite which, with only 19mp3's, is giving me a size reading of 1,921.00MB.

No digi cams or USB. Running 1mb ethernet 10/100 broadband.

Just noticed something "funny". If I list programmes by date last used they are listed as having been last used back in Feb (this can't be right as I was using at least six of the above today) but XP Uninstall (480mb) says it was last used today (it has , obviously, never been used).

Any use?

Check Partition Size

Just a thought...are you sure your drive is partitioned to the full size of the physical drive? If not, go to the command prompt and run fdisk. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom