New computer not starting up! I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mungdaal

Baseband Member
ASUS M4A78T-E
AMD PHENOM II 720 X3
PNY DDR3 1333 RAM
XCilo GOODPOWER 500W PSU
Using Windows 7.

Just built today.
When it boots, everything comes on, then it starts accessing the HDD and the DVD drives obsessively, meanwhile nothing comes up on the monitor, and after about 15-20 seconds the BIOS comes up. (This is from the first boot and on)
I just discarded this because it actually came on. After awhile I started to play with BIOS settings. I watched a video by NCIX TechTips on YouTube, where the guy unlocked a 720 X3's disabled core.
I went to CPU configuration, turned on Advanced Clock Calibration, set it to 0%. (Instead of resetting when I exited and saved changes, it just shut off.) Booted into Windows fine. Still had an x3, not an x4.
So I went back into the BIOS playing around, went to the onboard graphic settings, changed UMA to 512MB (Probably changed something else, not sure.) and went to the CPU options and changed Advanced Clock Calibration to +4%. Again saved changes and exited, instead of resetting the computer just shut off.
Here is where my problem lies, it goes to the stage after the BIOS to boot Windows, and restarts, kinda resets, like the computer doesn't turn off. It was still running, nothing on the screen, so I turned if off via the power button.
I turn it back on and the BIOS comes up, after that the BIOS post message pops up saying to reset the BIOS. So I did, and restarted and it still will not boot Windows.

What is going on? Should I just reinstall Windows? I haven't tried yet.

How did you reset the BIOS? Are you sure you did it properly? The best way is this way:
1. Unplug the pc, press the power button
2. take out the CMOS battery and press the power button again
3. replace the battery, then the power cord, then try booting.

Well, I made it to the install screen for Windows 7.
So I guess I'll just reinstall, Windows must have crapped out on me or something, haha.

But, my computer, when it turns on nothing comes on the screen and you can hear it access the HDD and DVD drive for a second, then stop. Over and over, for about 10-20 seconds and then the BIOS will finally come up.
What's up with that?
(I hear no beeps or anything)

How did you reset the BIOS? Are you sure you did it properly? The best way is this way:
1. Unplug the pc, press the power button
2. take out the CMOS battery and press the power button again
3. replace the battery, then the power cord, then try booting.

Oh, well just went to the BIOS and hit reset to default settings.
I just tried what you said, with no luck. It reset the BIOS but Windows still won't load.

Ahh I didn't have much going on it.
Well thanks anyways. :D

Would you know anything about my startup problem? Where the computer turns on, churns some drives for about 20 seconds, then finally boots? (It still works fine, but gosh that cuts into the startup time)
I think I'll call ASUS tomorrow and talk to them, because Express Gate won't work either.

is anyone seeing the fact that he is trying to unlock the final core on an x3 that more thann likely isn't going to live.

That could be an issue there bub. The only x3 720's that you could truly pull this trick off with are the first gen x3's that where produced in such a hurry AMD didn't try to hard to make sure the 4th core was non-functioning. Fast forward to current day and they have since stripped that core of everything it needs to work.

Translation: Any newer x3 720 cannot have a unlocked 4th core

I'm not genius on the AMD chipset's but that could've caused a problem , whether it be with Windows or hardware related.

If the reinstall doesn't do it then I'm pointing fingers at a now faulty proc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom