Give me my bandwidth back!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg4064

Solid State Member
OK windows sets aside 20 percent of available networking bandwidth for "networking services". I want that back to hopefully get better performance from my 3 meg broadband service. Now, my question is how do I get to the screen where I disable that feature of windows. Someone told me that I should "run" "gpedit.msc" but windows doesn't recognize that file or command. My second question is: why does windows set that bandwidth aside, I mean what networking services need 20% of my friggin' bandwidth. Lastly, will taking this bandwidth back from windows hiccups in lan gaming or online gaming or any other kind of networking that I do.

Thanks for all the help JpG

Win Xp Home sp1
P4 northwood 2.4 @ 2.41 (Oh yeah big oc I know) 533 fsb
Asus p4p800s
2 x 256mb kingston 2100 ram
100 gig 7200 rpm western digital HD
550W power
BFG Overclocked from the box Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra 256mb

Not much but it runs Dawn of War like a dream....Doom 3 not to shabby either

you need to do the following. I
First I'm making the assumption that you are using XP home/pro:
What I'm about to tell you, if you choose to do it, will be to modify a registry key. Doing so incorrectly can cause instability in your system, so if something goes wrong, Don't start pointing blame.

ok, first, run regedit. Then browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\windows
at this level create a new key. name the key "Psched"
open this key. Create a new Dword value named "NonBestEffortLimit" and give it a value 0

This will do what you are reguesting.

Good luck

this is interesting, let us know if it works well for you jpg.

don't spose this can be achieved in win2k...

depends on the policy options from Win2k. I don't have a machine availabel running 2k at the moment, so ifyou post a screenshot of the policy window from the MMC I can walk you though it.

Is this also true for windows 2000, what do i edit in the registry to get the 20% back.

Thanks

See above in my post. This should do it for you. There is a group policy that enable this too.
see this picture.
GPEDIT

good luck

Just wanted to make sure, did win2k also set aside 20 percent of available networking bandwidth for "networking services"?

Thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom