Strange HDD Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2k556

In Runtime
I've got quite a peculiar issue occurring with my brothers external HDD. He was having issues with computers recognizing it with the usb, so i took it out of my the enclosure and and plugged it into my my motherboard. For some reason, when it's plugged in, my computer won't boot. It gets to the xp boot screen and freezes. I at first thought it was an issue with my HDD because I just got a new one and did a fresh xp install. So i was about ready to reinstall when it booted up. Then after a few times of similar occurances, I realized that the only time it doesn't boot is when my brothers ext hdd is plugged in. So what could be causing this? His ext hdd is an internal hdd in an ext enclousure.

thanks in advance!
Gavin

Is their some kind of boot.ini file on your brothers HDD? or possibly any kind of boot file on their. Did he ever try loading linux or a windos OS on their? if so it could be a fault MBR (Master Boot Record)

And also when you hook it up to your PC, do you make sure that its booting from your HDD thats already in their or is it trying to boot up from his?

no, he uses it just for storage of videos. and yes, it's booting from the correct hdd. the splash screen shows up, the one that says Windows XP x64 Pro and has the loading bar on it. except the loading bar never animates, it freezes as soon as the logo appears. he has vista so it for sure is booting from my hdd.

all hdd's are sata. it really is strange. i plugged it in again and went to the bios and it didn't recognize it as a hdd. but again, it still didn't boot, then when I unhooked it, it booted.

haha yeah that definitely strange.

One thing you can also try is to hook it up via Sata connection when your PC is already booted, I believe Sata is Hot Swappable. Some one please correct me if im wrong, ive never actually tried it before.

ANd if that doesn't some how magically fix it, then i have no idea what so ever on why that is happening. its really a strange problem.

I've got quite a peculiar issue occurring with my brothers external HDD. He was having issues with computers recognizing it with the usb, so i took it out of my the enclosure and and plugged it into my my motherboard. For some reason, when it's plugged in, my computer won't boot. It gets to the xp boot screen and freezes. I at first thought it was an issue with my HDD because I just got a new one and did a fresh xp install. So i was about ready to reinstall when it booted up. Then after a few times of similar occurances, I realized that the only time it doesn't boot is when my brothers ext hdd is plugged in. So what could be causing this? His ext hdd is an internal hdd in an ext enclousure.

thanks in advance!
Gavin

Did you forget to jumper it. Or is it SATA.

Make sure its on cable select

please read other replies....it's sata...

and i tried to to plug it in while it was running, but the power cable on my os drive broke and came out, so i got scared and didn't want to try it again.

Yes sata drives are hot swappable.
It appears to be trying to load either something OFF the external drive or something FOR the external drive. And obviously it's not finding what it needs so it's crashing.

Go into your BIOS and disable 'other' or 'removable' boot devices from the boot list. That probably won't solve the problem, but it's worth a shot :) I'm drawing blanks as to what's gone wrong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom