Upgrading Graphics card, New CPU too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it, the graphics card you suggested (HD 4850) is very high on this websites list of graphics card rankings, it is #14. That doesn't seem right, especially because it is only $100.

Oh yeah what kind of socket type is the motherboard you linked me too? Is it PCI, or something else?

And how do I know that the graphics card will fit the mobo, and even more important, the case?

AMD doesn't really care about the top anymore, right now its all about the Bang for the Buck.. which is really what's driving the fanbase slightly into their favor.

Plus, HD 4850's lost some popularity for a bit when the HD 4770's came out (which had similar performance for $100), so they had to cut down prices on the HD 4850 when they stopped producing HD 4770's

It has one.. its the big red one above the two white ones..

But I would get a better board if I were you.

The board is made by a crappy company, hardly any expansion room (2), and most the HD 4850 will cover up the one below it (because of its massive fan), so you'd only have one PCI card slot left, also the chipset isn't that good.

Also, in my experience I have found the system performance to be slightly higher on a system with a dedicated graphics card and no onboard video, than on a system with the same card and a motherboard with onboard video. That gets difficult in mATX builds tho, not many competitively priced boards will come without it. If you are going AMD, try and keep with the 770 and newer series.

@ vernong, im pretty sure hes limited to a mATX board unless he gets a new case, so he is kinda stuck to having the 4850 taking out one of the pci slots, but honestly would it ever get used? Good catch on the board company :cheers: i have had quite a few bad experiences with zotac

anyways, im checking the budget range on good amd boards, keeping sub $70

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA780G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - ASRock A780GMH/128M AM2+/AM3 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I had the top Biostar board, it wasn't so great... but then again I was an enthusiast on an extremely low budget.

I'd say for a normal rig that's not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom