faster? RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z e i g

In Runtime
my computer is a wee bit slow. would adding RAM quicken things up? i have liek 580mb i think... pretty tiny. i was thinking about buying a gig or two. will this quicken the computers loading and other functinos up?
can i buy any RAM? or do i need specific kinds? can i just plug it in and be on my way?

THANKS!

And to add to what Vern told you, yeah, you might see some immediate speed of refreshing windows, images in your browser rendering, etc. What is your end result for speed ? Refreshing screens too slow, or your internet surfing ?

Because if you feel its slow while going to web pages, then you might want a faster connection, like upgrading your service from your ISP for example. It all depends on what you are experiencing for problems regarding speed and your end wishes.

Hello Zeig,
Go to your MB makers site and check the approved list of vendors for that board.
It will tell you what make of Ram you can use and how much the board will take.
Any extra Ram you can fit will speed up your system
Good luck and post your results when you get the ram.

k ill check that out thanks.
so this will help with windows not responding or starting as fast right?

i cant take a screenshot! it wont let me even print screen, or i just dont know how, cuz i hit the button.
heres a crappy coppy of what it said.
heres the link
Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - Determine My Memory Needs

and should i jsut buy ram off that website? or is there better cheaperstuff elsewhere?

Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your Dell Dimension 2400 Series Desktop/PC .
Scan Id: D55AFAD731D926C3

Crucial Recommends
Your system configuration
256MB Total

256MB current memory

256MB
1 empty slots

EMPTY

Our suggested upgrades
512MB Total

256MB current memory

256MB
256MB new memory added

256MB

US $14.99
[X]Part No: CT323833
Qty: 1
US $14.99 ea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Price: US $14.99 1.25GB Total

256MB current memory

256MB
1GB new memory added

1GB

US $42.99
[X]Part No: CT323835
Qty: 1
US $42.99 ea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Price: US $42.99 2GB Total

256MB current memory removed *

1GB new memory added

*1GB
1GB new memory added

1GB

US $85.98
[X]Part No: CT323835
Qty: 2
US $42.99 ea.

Total Price: US $85.98 view all compatible memory upgrades

Your Dell Dimension 2400 Series Specifications

Currently installed memory:

256MBDDR PC2700 EMPTY

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
Currently Installed Memory: 256MB
Available Memory Slots: 1
Total Memory Slots: 2
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz Model 2, Stepping 7
CPU Speed: 2525 MHz

Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?

A: Possibly

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at Crucial FAQ - Answer.

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?

A: DDR memory with support for DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 speeds.
Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?

A: 2048MB.
Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: No.
No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

Your system does not support dual channel.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

All Compatible Parts

Refine my choices
select all|clear

MEMORY MODULE
Density:

1GB
512MB
256MB We're now showing 4 of 6 compatible upgrades show allDDR upgrades
US $42.99 1GB
Part #: CT323835 • DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 • • more details

(549 Ratings)US $42.99 1GB
Part #: CT323842 • DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64 • • more details

(56 Ratings)US $24.99 512MB
Part #: CT323832 • DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 64Meg x 64 • • more details

(35 Ratings)US $24.99 512MB
Part #: CT323834 • DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64 • • more details

(11 Ratings)

DANG $25?!
is that good RAM or is it all the same no matter the brand?

ya i was only planning on throwing one gig in cuz im gettin a new laptop ina year =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom