Been running it great, until recently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
I overclocked my 4050e from 2.1Ghz to 2.7Ghz, until I can get a new power supply and use my 7750. All was good up until yesterday. I was playin' a game on my 360, and heard a loud fan come on, thought it was just the 360, but found it to be my computer. I was idling at 50C, fan was buzzin' along tryin' to cool it off. I just decided to shut it off, and let it cool off. After gaming for about an hour, I turned it back on. All was fine for about 2 hours, and I just shut it down, because I was leaving and I didn't want to risk it burning itself up while I was gone. Any idea why it did this? Nothing has changed, and it has been running fine at 2.7Ghz for the past month or so staying at 37-38C (Stock cooler) at idle, and never reaching over 54C at full throttle... I'm going to pick up a new HSF today.

Ok, I put it back at stock the day I started this thread, and it stayed fine. It idled at 35-36C, and all was fine. Didn't mess with it for a while, and I decided I'd see if it were just a fluke. I overclocked it again, put it at 10.5x260, which was what I had it at before. Has been running great at 36C with the stock cooler. I figured "He** Yeah". I boot it up today, and PC Probe says it's 39C, I think "Oh Sh**, it's going to start again. Stays at 39C, all day with minimal tasks, and CPU usage. I open up CPUZ, and I see that it's now even more overclocked then I have ever been able to achieve. It's now running at 10.5*274, and my computer usually doesn't boot past 260. I ordered a new power supply, and a new HSF ( Sunbeam Core Contact). Any idea of why/how my core speed has jumped 14Mhz, without me doing so?

Turns out it was the thermal paste. I just applied WAY too much. Cleaned all of it up, applied half a pea size dot, and smoothed it with a debit card. 38-40C idling, and no more than 54C under full load verified by IntelBurnTest and ASUS PC Probe (Not sure how accurate PC probe is...)

Edit : This thread can be closed, if wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom