Used Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you had any old or spare pc's laying around you could make one of them a server instead of buying one.

but for $200 the first one dont look too bad. just not much HDD space.

I could add another hdd if I needed to. I do have my old celron d 1gb ddr 160gb ide hdd comp. Would that make a decent server? It has windows xp home on it. I was going to make it into a htpc for my tiny tv in my room but i might be able to use it as a server.

you could use it as a server and as a HTCP. just put server 2008 on it and go with that ;)

for hosting games you do not need alot of computer power at all. just bump the ram up to 4GB and throw in a decent vid card and your good to go.

^ that will still be plenty. i was just talking upgrading from integrated gfx ;) even hosting games does not require alot. most games just say for hosting that you need to meed the min req.

I have many servers that I have installed that are headless that run without a monitor, you don't need any graphical output for a server just a ssh connection, if you do need a local connection get a KVM an use the on board video.

And don't spend the money on a dedicated server till you can handle or need one, I use many old desktop computers as servers for a whole load of jobs, but alongside some serious servers I have one here running 2 quad core processors and 24gb of memory but that is a serious server that I host some stuff for some of my clients on.

But to be honest a home server needs very little power, I have a 478 machine with 256mb ddr running a intranet server for my family and its well over powered for what it dose.

well hosting a (modern) game would need a little more than a P4 and 256mb of ram. but for running a intranet server that's all you really need.

So my old comp will work? I will get info on what a l4d server requires. and how much bandwidth does a server normally suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom