should i upgrade or buy new

Status
Not open for further replies.

wycherley

Baseband Member
Hey guys

its been a while since i looked at hardware an its moved on so much so quick i'm a bit lost, below is my rig that was high performance about 3 years ago. Stopped playing games on it last year as it couldnt handle the latest games. Should i upgrade or just sell it an buy a new one? idealy looking to play the likes of new call of duty and the darkest day.

Any help is much apreciated, cheers.

Core 2 Duo E6600
Nvidia 7950 GX2
ASUS P5N32 DELUXE
2Gb Corsair RAM
400GB Hard drive
22" Acer Widescreen Monitor

hope fully no more the about £300 but you get what you pay for so if i need to spend more thats ok. just lookin for something mid range that will play games. Doesn't need to be the fastest thing out there, if you understand me?

Well for that you could get a new vid card and upgrade to 4GB RAM. What kind of RAM do you have atm? Like DDR2-xxxx

Yeah you have a pretty solid cpu and motherboard.

What psu do you have?

bigballer is correct in what you need to upgrade.

i've got a 500w psu, not sure on the Ram will check when i get home from work. I thought it would have been the other way around and the board an cpu would need to go. didn't think to core 2 due's where up to the quad cores standards?

Well I did read it as a q6600 not a e6600. Sorry.

regardless you will get a much better performance upgrade for a top quality gpu with your upgrade money amount. You may need a new psu depending upon what card you get. Then you could save up for an new motherboard and cpu in 6 months or so.

All you really need to do is sell that GPU on eBay and pick up a HD 4890 or GTX 275.

How can that rig not handle recent games?

My old rig with:

PD 3.2 GHz
1 GB DDR2
Nvidia 6800

Can still play the newest games. It plays them on low, but it handles them. Your rig is way better than that.

And yeah, as others have said, you could be maxing most games again with a vid card upgrade. Your cpu is solid. 2 more gigs of ram couldn't hurt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom