Ethernet not being recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneity

Solid State Member
Hey all. First post. I searched a bit and didn't find this problem, but it's probably driver/motherboard specific anyway.

So I recently built a desktop machine, and after installing Windows and the motherboard drivers (both the CD it came with and updated ones from the net transferred through USB stick), the ethernet port seems to be completely absent from the hardware profiles.

Under network controllers it only lists 1394 and 1394 #2. As far as I know 1394 is firewire and I sure as **** don't have that for internet. I have no idea what it's talking about. But the actual ethernet port is nowhere in sight despite the official drivers being installed. Multiple restarts, installs, etc.

The wire is in the port and both the green light and the busy light are on. The busy light just blinks at intervals instead of randomly like it does when in use. Maybe helpful info.

Anyway, please help :(

If you can, boot up a Linux LiveCD, and see if it recognizes the ethernet controller. If not, chances are your ethernet controller is dead.

Linux is an Open Source operating system. You can run it on almost anything that's a computer. A LiveCD is when you boot into the OS, to either test it out, or run diagnostics. Go to ubuntu.com, download the ISO, and burn it with an ISO burner, throw it in the drive, and select run LiveCD, won't have to do much of anything else after that, except look to see if your Ethernet adapter is working.

what motherboard do you have?
any unrecognized devices in device manager?
any network adapters listed with issues?

95BlackGA: I'm gonna try that now.

Hefemeister: EVGA, yes, no

I deleted the one unrecognized device and reinstalled the mobo drivers and it didn't help.

It works totally fine in Ubuntu. Haha. That's amusing. Let me check the on-board LAN settings. I figured it would have been enabled by default.

EDIT:

Ever since I shut down Ubuntu the computer won't turn on the display. Multiple restarts are resetting the CMOS didn't work. ughhhhh :(

Ok, so all linux does is mess up the computer more than it already is. The PC started using the monitor again after I gave up on it for 2 hours. I ran ubuntu again and all it did was continuously back out to the login screen while I was in the middle of browsing, making me have to open everything again. And now that I turned it off the monitor doesn't work again.

This is unbelievably frustrating. The internet still doesn't even show up in Windows. Why in Linux but not Windows? If I can even get the monitor to start working again.

95BlackGA: I'm gonna try that now.

Hefemeister: EVGA, yes, no

I deleted the one unrecognized device and reinstalled the mobo drivers and it didn't help.

what exact model and did you install ethernet drivers as well as your motherboard drivers from evga's website?

If linux can use the ethernet card it is working so we just need to install the proper drivers.

Yeah I installed the drivers directly from the motherboard installation disc, and even updated ones from the net. The Ethernet drivers were an option and it was checked. Windows still doesn't even recognize an Ethernet port let alone have Internet.

It worked without a hitch in Linux. Could the fact that I used an image of a windows x64 disc and not a genuine disc have something to do with it? I do have a genuine windows XP disc but when I try to use that and boot from CD, the keyboard doesn't work despite there being no keyboard failure reported in the diagnostics beforehand. So when it asks press any key to boot from CD, I can't.

This is so ridiculous. I'm thinking I have to somehow erase the hard drive with no floppy drive and no windows CD, then find a genuine XP x64 disc and install that.

Any other suggestions? Maybe buy an Ethernet card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom