with this power a 4890

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think high end multiple rail psus can be just as good as single powerful rail psus. to be honest PJ, the power supplies from corsair are just made by seasonic and probably use cheaper components then their seasonic lineup, those power supplies are not really that great, a lot of people have trouble with them. Any known brand like enermax, silverstone or pc power and cooling are going to use good components in their all their psus so multi rails psus from them would be good too.

I'm not sure if this is using the correct logic but assuming you have good quality multi rails they can be even more effecient than having single rail since they are not under so much stress as having the whole system powered from one rail.

I think high end multiple rail psus can be just as good as single powerful rail psus. to be honest PJ, the power supplies from corsair are just made by seasonic and probably use cheaper components then their seasonic lineup, those power supplies are not really that great, a lot of people have trouble with them. Any known brand like enermax, silverstone or pc power and cooling are going to use good components in their all their psus so multi rails psus from them would be good too.

I'm not sure if this is using the correct logic but assuming you have good quality multi rails they can be even more effecient than having single rail since they are not under so much stress as having the whole system powered from one rail.

Corsairs are rebadged seasonics. But they are the same quality level. There is nothing bad about corsairs. In fact they are great. For anything but budget builds I only use Seasonic, Corsiar and Pc Power and Cooling. And that is with as few rails as possible. That is what my experience and research has told me the best choice is. And I stand by it.

Silverstone is ok, and I don't think I have ever recommended an enermax. Not to say they are terrible, but there were always better options.

Corsairs are rebadged seasonics. But they are the same quality level. There is nothing bad about corsairs. In fact they are great. For anything but budget builds I only use Seasonic, Corsiar and Pc Power and Cooling. And that is with as few rails as possible. That is what my experience and research has told me the best choice is. And I stand by it.

Silverstone is ok, and I don't think I have ever recommended an enermax. Not to say they are terrible, but there were always better options.
Actually the high end enermax psu's are very good in terms of efficiency for one, i think the 85+ usually have close to 90% efficiency. Also silverstone imo are better then seasonic, i have had both psu's in the same range and the silverstone psu's i have used are much more heavy so they probably use better quality components.

Actually the high end enermax psu's are very good in terms of efficiency for one, i think the 85+ usually have close to 90% efficiency. Also silverstone imo are better then seasonic, i have had both psu's in the same range and the silverstone psu's i have used are much more heavy so they probably use better quality components.

All good psu's have very high efficiency. Not only that but efficiency is subject to the load you are putting on the psu. Most psus reach peak efficiency at around 80% load. Less than that or more than that and it drops off. And although weight is a good general tool to measure quality. The best way it to hook up a volt meter and find out how it really performs. How clean the power is, if it meets its rated max output, how well it handles cooling etc.

well my 4890 is here, and im not too happy. the one i received was NOT a reference PCB (which all have volterra VRM's), unlike the one i THOUGHT i had ordered based on newegg's pictures. because the vrm's arent made by volterra, i cant adjust the voltage with software, which i had planned on... great... thanks newegg and xfx.

well my 4890 is here, and im not too happy. the one i received was NOT a reference PCB (which all have volterra VRM's), unlike the one i THOUGHT i had ordered based on newegg's pictures. because the vrm's arent made by volterra, i cant adjust the voltage with software, which i had planned on... great... thanks newegg and xfx.

XFX almost never uses reference designs. They have better boards. I wouldn't worry too much. knowing the following that XFX has I am sure that volt mods for them are well documented.

That's not suprising that they don't, I'm just frustrated I didn't get the card the Newegg showed I was...

Im sure there are volt mods for it, but i don't really want to physically vmod it. the reason my 4850 is dead is cuz i vmodded it (my dog bumped my arm while i was soldering = dead card lol). Being able to adjust the voltage with software is a HUGE plus for me. I really want to get as much out of the card as I can.

So... I've decided to return it. I'll be getting the HIS model instead this time.

That's not suprising that they don't, I'm just frustrated I didn't get the card the Newegg showed I was...

Im sure there are volt mods for it, but i don't really want to physically vmod it. the reason my 4850 is dead is cuz i vmodded it (my dog bumped my arm while i was soldering = dead card lol). Being able to adjust the voltage with software is a HUGE plus for me. I really want to get as much out of the card as I can.

So... I've decided to return it. I'll be getting the HIS model instead this time.

Well I wouldn't, but that's just me. If you want a reference 4850 then I am sure there are plenty of them floating around used for much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom