with this power a 4890

Status
Not open for further replies.
on my zalman PSU 750w with 4 20A rails the CPU gets rail 1 and the pci-e gets 2 rails with one rail being left over for sata and 4 pin power.

I wouldn't even consider using a psu with multiple 12v rails in my personal system. I like knowing that my cpu and gpu(s) will get plenty of power regardless of the specific connectors they are using.

^ i dont see why not. i mean lots of people use psu's with multiple rails. my psu is a multi rail psu. it's stable and outputs a solid 12.5V on all of the connectors while under a heavy load.

Plenty of people may use them but that doesn't mean I would. I have very high standards when it comes to psu's, for example Corsair and PC Power & Cooling are pretty much the only brands of psu that I would use.

Multiple rails allows the manufacturer to use several cheap rails instead of one high quality one. In my opinion that plus more usable power (you aren't limited by what connectors are attached to what rail) and no need for load balancing are more than enough reasons to go with with a single 12v rail psu.

^ i dont see why not. i mean lots of people use psu's with multiple rails. my psu is a multi rail psu. it's stable and outputs a solid 12.5V on all of the connectors while under a heavy load.

Multi rails have no advantage except for cost. You see a lot of cheap psus with multi rails because they don't have to use as high tolerance components. The only Corsair psu with multi rails is the 1k watt model.

Most of the time I would let silly recommendations slip, but when it comes to psu's recommending a multi rail that isn't absurdly high output goes against everything I know and have practiced. And I wont let it go unchallenged.

I wouldn't even consider using a psu with multiple 12v rails in my personal system. I like knowing that my cpu and gpu(s) will get plenty of power regardless of the specific connectors they are using.

i agree. as i've thought more about it i think i will go with a psu with a single rail. i really dont want to hinder performance because of something dumb like not having a enough power. i think i will just wait for another MIR on the corsair 750 model.

Honestly any quality psu, single or multi, won't have the above average user any issues.

except with multi rails you have to load balance which is an obnoxious and time consuming task. Your better off saving a bit more cash and doing it right the first time. I know a guy who disregarded my advice and swore by cheap psus. In one year he had 3 blow up on him the alst took out his mobo and cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom