Memory Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julez1054

Solid State Member
I have a question regarding a memory stick. Currently I only have 256 MB of RAM in my hard drive and I'd like to update to more memory. Anyone have any suggestions as to how much more I should go on a memory stick?

Do you mean 256mb of ram in your computer, if so get another 256mb which will the equal to 512mb.

Julez1054 said:
I have a question regarding a memory stick. Currently I only have 256 MB of RAM in my hard drive and I'd like to update to more memory. Anyone have any suggestions as to how much more I should go on a memory stick?

What kind of system specs can you tell us about your computer. What kind of processor, mtb, operating system?

I have Windows XP, not sure of the other specifications at the moment because I'm actually at work right now. Thank you for the tips though. Anyone know where I can find some cheap memory sticks possibly online? Let me know. Also, I'm not exactly a computer expert when it comes to the technical hardware stuff, but I'm assuming installing the new memory stick is quite simple...?

yeah man installing memory is a snap....literally. If you have the common sense of a 10 year old and the steadiness of rock you'll be good. All it is is literally a stick, I'm sure you've atleast seen a stick of ram.

www.zipzoomfly.com

is a nice site for some good cheap ram. So is:

www.newegg.com

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Enlarge_image/details_A.jsp?ProductCode=240143

Check out that board. See the two light blue slots on the bottom right? There's your RAM slots. You push those two white clips out then push down on the RAM into the slot while bringing up those white clips until they click into place! It's that simple. The only thing you gotta look for is a groove on the ram that's a little off-center. You gotta match that up otherwise the RAM won't be seated correctly. A very common mistake and I've found myself start to almost put the RAM in backwards. It's REAL easy to change RAM so don't be worried about it one bit :D

On the amount of memory you want to upgrade depends like most said, on your current system, if you only have 256mb RAM then another 256mb RAM would be pretty good. But if you have PC2100 RAM and could fit in PC3200 (just an example) then that's something to think about. So we need to know the kind of memory the 256 is too :) Then there's always high performance memory, value memory, and all that good stuff. Good luck and welcome to the forums

careful of electro-static discharge. Ground yourself first so you dont fry the mem module

Bah good save killian! Yes that is a very important factor to remember. Always touch the metal sides of your case to make sure any static charge that might be building up is released onto something not important

Thanks guys for the help, it's appreciated BIG time. Last question is this....how do I know which amount of pin's to get? I noticed some of the memory sticks have a different number of pins....

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom