Operation SuperPi - Phase-Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well were getting closer :D

In this 1st picture I've removed the mobo from the case and I've removed the socket retention mechanism and the heatsinks from the mobo.

prep1.jpg

In this picture I've decided to use clear nail polish instead of the conformal coating. I'll be painting a couple of coats, front and back, all the way around the socket out to about 2-3 inches.

prep2.jpg

In this picture the mobo has been painted and I'm ready to pack the socket full of dielectric grease. I'll use the hairdryer to soften the grease up so that it packs in without bending any pins.

prep3.jpg

Next we see the socket packed full of dielectric grease. Time to re-attach the socket retention mechanism and install the cpu.

prep4.jpg

And we ready to start putting all the parts back together.

prep5.jpg

That's a crazy lookin socket...

I like the Intel CPU retention better than the plastic AMD deal.. I always pull my CPU out of the socket when I try to take my waterblock off.. End up using a small flathead to loosen the CPU from the block so I don't damage the board or the CPU.

I don't know which I like better, the Sarah Michelle Gellar pic you have or the computer pr0n :D.

Well the Housing Market is definitely coming back to life. I've gotten another House to draw and I'm running out of free time to play. But I pretty much have everything lined up for this week-end :D

My bolts were just a little bit to big for the mobo holes so I had to buy some threaded rod and make new ones. After sliding the 1st gasket in place I covered/filled-in the remaining exposed components with silly putty :D

prep6.jpg

Between the 1st and 2nd gasket I've cut a piece of disposible shop towel to wick up the condensation that might try to sneak out. I also placed a piece of shop towel under the 1st gasket but I forgot to take a pic.

prep7.jpg

The top gasket in place.

prep8.jpg

With the donut gasket sitting in place :D

prep11.jpg

Here's a pic looking inside the donut. I should of taken another pic as I've actually used some white thermal paste as a gap filler around the outer edge of the cpu. If you look hard you can see the white around the cpu in the pic above.

prep10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom