New Build - Computer Turns off Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried disabiling the auto temp shutdown.
The computer worked for 10 minutes before shutting down.
The timeframes between boot and crash continuously got shorter and shorter, and after working on it for awhile, when I boot the computer, it will stay on for about 2 seconds before shutting off.

When I last used it, it would stay on for about 2 seconds, and then it would power down again.

I am pretty sure there is an issue with the mobo, but does anyone have any other suggestions before I ship it back?

Are you sure your CPU is not overheating? There are a lot of safety precautions for chips to not overheat now. If it's not overheating then I have no other suggestions for you to except ship it back and hope they send you a 7 series because they may be out of 6 :p

EVGA has been known to do that

In the BIOS, it says the cpu temps are at 35-37 degrees celsius.
When I get into windows, I have Speedfan on and after running some high calc stress tests, the maxmium it had gone up to was 47 degrees celsius.

I don't think this could be an issue.

No I don't think so too, unless it is your northbridge or southbridge overheating. Either way, it's something warranty needs to take care of, plus like I said. If they can't fix it they will give you a 7 series since I doubt they have any 6 series because they sell B stock

I reseated everything over the weekend, and I went piece by piece. I can now turn on the machine, and have it run for an hour max before it randomly turns off. It turns off like someone has just pulled the plug. I tried 2 different PSUs and they both have the same problem. After turning off, it usually says the following message: "Please reset CPU or Memory frequency in CMOS setup" and is not able to load windows anymore, so I reset CMOS back to original settings, turn it on for awhile, and we repeat the same process. I am not changing any of the BIOS settings, so I don`t see why it is changing and causing the computer to turn off.

Youve pretty much troubleshot everything but the mobo and the HDD.

So its one of those causing the issue.

I ran a memtest, no errors for that fortunately.

Here is what is happening now, I can turn on the computer, get into windows and run windows for awhile.
After about an hour, the computer turns off like someone pulled the plug out of the back.
After that, almost every time I turn on the computer it turns on for 2 seconds before shutting off.
I have to leave the computer off for at least a few hours before I can boot up again, and get back into windows.

This leads me to believe that something is overheating, or the mobo thinks that something is overheating even though it isn't.

I have changed the GPU and memory after this happened, and it would still continue to occur.
So, it is either the CPU or the MOBO.

Any other advice before I throw my computer out the window?

I ran a memtest, no errors for that fortunately.

Here is what is happening now, I can turn on the computer, get into windows and run windows for awhile.
After about an hour, the computer turns off like someone pulled the plug out of the back.
After that, almost every time I turn on the computer it turns on for 2 seconds before shutting off.
I have to leave the computer off for at least a few hours before I can boot up again, and get back into windows.

This leads me to believe that something is overheating, or the mobo thinks that something is overheating even though it isn't.

I have changed the GPU and memory after this happened, and it would still continue to occur.
So, it is either the CPU or the MOBO.

Any other advice before I throw my computer out the window?

Your theory certainly makes a lot of sense under the circumstances.
How long did you run memtest for though? I only ask because if you left it long enough to be sure it's not your RAM and it didn't shut down then that indicates it might be a HDD problem.
Of course if it did shut down then that is indicative of the opposite.

I was having the exact same problem a week ago when I was building my new rig. I read that it might be shorting out with the case somewhere so I took all the components out of the case and put them on a block of wood connected everything and it worked fine; however, when I put them back in the case it would start doing the same thing. I tested different theories and found that my front panel reset switch(when plugged in to the mobo) was shorting out with the case and making it reset. So all I have to do is not plug in my reset connector. If I were you I would use my method and take it all out of the case unless your sure that is not the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom