atom vs p4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_ming

Baseband Member
It's silly really, but I'm just curious how the new Atom processors perform in comparison to old Pentium 4 ones, especially if we compare it head to head in terms of Ghz - P4 1.6 to Atom 1.6? Or perhaps the newer Atom should perform better even in comparison to old architecture of P4 2.8 Ghz?

Again, just a curious thought. Please share your experience.

Thanks!!

I'm pretty sure the Atom is faster clock per clock to the Pentium 4..

I'd say the Atom wins in every way

EDIT: I fail... that one review was with the Atom 330 Dual-Core.. nvm... no idea why they pitted it against the P4 though o_O

A p4 1.6 vs an Atom 1.6 will lose, as will any p4 revision under ~2.0-2.4Ghz

A standard P4 2.8Ghz will definitely perform better than any Atom processor atm. Remember the Atom's were not really designed for intense processes.

I guess it depends on what you want. The Atoms are very power-friendly, but are kind of wimpy. The p4's will consume a **** of a lot more wattage, but will provide some extra kick to compensate.

Uhh...personally, I'd compare the atom more with the pentium 3 line than the 4...

Which is fine for me, as I used a pentium 2 for a while. I have an Acer Aspire One. If I play a flash video on hulu my cpu is basically maxed out. I don't mind much, though, as I didn't buy it for intense tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom