Wire Sleeving/Covering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you guys are talking about for the looks. Now I'm bouncing between using the loom and sleeving:freak:.

Here is an off topic question, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. I've been thinking of getting an aftermarket GPU cooler. I have a BFG Nvidia GeForce 9800GT. I'm pretty much clueless on what's good for this, so does anyone have any suggestions?

Shrink-wrap is annoying as crap, but the results are great, and you will definitely feel satisfied after all the work you put into it.

Don't know much about aftermarket GPU cooling though, sorry. :\

EDIT: I think the loom looks alright, but not as good as a good sleeve.

Ah ok. I'm leaning towards sleeving now, have to see if I could use the heat gun, or would that be bad because the heat has a larger foot print and might melt the connector head?

Was thinking of this one: Petra's Tech Shop With some of these: Petra's Tech Shop and one of these: Petra's Tech Shop

About that tool, can that be used for all of the connector heads or just the 4 pin molex?

Also, another off topic question (sorry). Do most pre-built PC's (newer ones, like this HP Pavilion a6430f Desktop PC  Or just look at the pic in this topic) have 80mm cpu heatsink fans? I was thinking of getting a higher cfm fan (Petra's Tech Shop) but am not sure if I have a 80mm right now. I'll try to measure it tomorrow when I get some time.

I see what you guys are talking about for the looks. Now I'm bouncing between using the loom and sleeving:freak:.

Here is an off topic question, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. I've been thinking of getting an aftermarket GPU cooler. I have a BFG Nvidia GeForce 9800GT. I'm pretty much clueless on what's good for this, so does anyone have any suggestions?

Check out the HR-03 or the Arctic Accelero S2

There's also that Zalman VU one.. forget which model

^ You won't melt the connector if you keep the gun moving.. Or unless you're out to stick it to your computer and TRY to melt it.. LOL

You can use a lighter, but don't hold the flame in one spot, just dance it around the shrink wrap connection until it's done it's job. Keep the flame under the wrap, just use the heat from the flame, not the flame itself. It only takes a couple seconds.

^ You won't melt the connector if you keep the gun moving.. Or unless you're out to stick it to your computer and TRY to melt it.. LOL

You can use a lighter, but don't hold the flame in one spot, just dance it around the shrink wrap connection until it's done it's job. Keep the flame under the wrap, just use the heat from the flame, not the flame itself. It only takes a couple seconds.

???

What!

Ok, I think I might try a heat gun if I get the sleeving kit.
Check out the HR-03 or the Arctic Accelero S2

There's also that Zalman VU one.. forget which model
The Accelero doesn't look bad, but I don't like that it doesn't come with a fan (it's $4 less on Newegg vs Petras!). I couldn't find the Thermalright HR-03 on Newegg or Petra's though. Is this the Zalman you were thinking of? Newegg.com - ZALMAN VF1000 2 Ball VGA Cooler - VGA Cooling (Also $4 less on the egg).

Besides a cooler, I think I'm going to get this for my cpu heat sink: Petra's Tech Shop, this sleeving kit: Petra's Tech Shop Maybe 2 of these clip kits: Petra's Tech Shop and one of these pin removers: Petra's Tech Shop. The pin remover looks kinda big though, can it work on smaller connector heads too?

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it :).

Ok, I think I might try a heat gun if I get the sleeving kit.

The Accelero doesn't look bad, but I don't like that it doesn't come with a fan (it's $4 less on Newegg vs Petras!). I couldn't find the Thermalright HR-03 on Newegg or Petra's though. Is this the Zalman you were thinking of? Newegg.com - ZALMAN VF1000 2 Ball VGA Cooler - VGA Cooling (Also $4 less on the egg).

Besides a cooler, I think I'm going to get this for my cpu heat sink: Petra's Tech Shop, this sleeving kit: Petra's Tech Shop Maybe 2 of these clip kits: Petra's Tech Shop and one of these pin removers: Petra's Tech Shop. The pin remover looks kinda big though, can it work on smaller connector heads too?

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it :).

You can find better clips at your local electrical supply store, see if you have one nearby, they will have dozens of wiring options, my favourite are the zip tie anchors, they use the least space and are very tough. Here is a pic from performance-pcs:

Zip Tie Mount, 1 in X 1 in - UV Blue Products Model: TIE-MOUNT-UVB-1 [TIE-MOUNT-UVB-75] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

At my local electrical store they come in all colours and sizes.

That extractor will remove the moles pins for 4 pin power connectors, to remove the pins from a 6,4 and 20/24 pin housing you'll need one of these:

Petra's Tech Shop

However, I find them flimsy, the best one I've ever used I made myself out of a paperclip:

Done.jpg

with a belt sander:
sanding.jpg

It worked much better than the one I listed above, I had it as well but the flimsy pins on it eventually broke.

Ah ok, I might have to try that paper clip trick. I accidently posted the wrong link, I ordered 2 sets of these: Petra's Tech Shop. Also ordered that 4 pin molex pin remover and the sleeving kit I previously linked. Ground shipping and they are in CA, I'm in WI, not sure how long it's going to take to get here but hopefully by the end of the week :). Thanks for all of the help guys (+ rep). I'll post photos when I start to get some work done ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom