Upgrading Graphics card, New CPU too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ECS site says it can run up to 65nm Core2Duo's with up to a 133MHz FSB, but Gateway's tech specs say up to Conroe's with up to a 800MHz FSB. Looking at NewEgg, I only see a E2200 that would be better than what you have (in a 65nm). Anything beyond that might not work but I am not an Intel guy so I can't make that call.

A 945 chipset will limit your cpu upgrade options since it won't support 45nm cpu's and Intel has already phased out most of their 65nm models. The e2200 Trotter posted is about as good as it gets for 65nm at this point although it's basically the same cpu as the e2140 just with a higher stock speed.

With your current motherboard you can run the new video card, all you would need is a bigger power supply to make your system handle it. Seeing as how you already have a lga775, I would get the video card/psu first (to get you up and running) then upgrade the mobo (keep the stock cpu/hs) and when more money hits upgrade the cpu/heatsink. you don't necessarily need to upgrade your motherboard/cpu, but it is a big bottleneck, and any improvement here will help alot.

Just my 2¢
Also, I just did a little research, and you have 244mm (24.4cm, or 9.6") between your I/O sheild on the back and your hard-drive bay, so the card might be a little bit of a squeeze (they are about 23cm or 9", so that gives you about 1/2 of an inch (12.5mm) of clearance for the power connector on the back of the card. It should fit.

Page for the motherboard on ECS site:
ECS Web Site

This heatsink should do you pretty good
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

paired with this cpu maybe too
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

board however, not my specality, as I am an AMD guy aswell...

just go with what he said ^

With your current motherboard you can run the new video card, all you would need is a bigger power supply to make your system handle it. Seeing as how you already have a lga775, I would get the video card/psu first (to get you up and running) then upgrade the mobo (keep the stock cpu/hs) and when more money hits upgrade the cpu/heatsink. you don't necessarily need to upgrade your motherboard/cpu, but it is a big bottleneck, and any improvement here will help alot.

Just my 2¢
Also, I just did a little research, and you have 244mm (24.4cm, or 9.6") between your I/O sheild on the back and your hard-drive bay, so the card might be a little bit of a squeeze (they are about 23cm or 9", so that gives you about 1/2 of an inch (12.5mm) of clearance for the power connector on the back of the card. It should fit.

Page for the motherboard on ECS site:
ECS Web Site

This heatsink should do you pretty good
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

paired with this cpu maybe too
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

board however, not my specality, as I am an AMD guy aswell...

you picked out the newer 45nm E6300, which wont work with the older mobo he has. intel stupidly named that one.

tbh putting money into restrictive setups like these is a waste overall. I would bear with what you have and save up for a proper budget setup.

I was thinking of getting the things separately, like the Graphics card and power supply first, but I think it would do better to get them all at once, in a combo. It is hard for me to compare graphics cards and decide which ones are better. But I think I can go for the $270 fairly quick. Thanks for your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom