Building/upgrading a computer for my son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argilus

In Runtime
Ok, I might get heckled but I've been out of the loop of computer hardware for nearly 10 years and I need some suggestions as to what it would be need for this computer I've had sitting in my attic for a long while and had my son ask about it. It was then he found it wouldn't run the games he bought with his allowance but asked for upgrading and I said I would. Looking to put maybe $400.00 into it but if anyone would be willing to help with what it needs the most.

Already, I can tell probably a new Mother Board and duel core something

: K7 Triton AGP8x/Dual Channel DDR motherboard
-AMD 2600 333mhz CPU
-120 Gig Seagate Sata 8MB buffer 7200rpm hard drive
-Black Pioneer DVR-106Bk CDR-DVR106BK DVD-RW/CD-RW Combo Drive
-SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
-19\'\' viewsonic monitor
-1 gig DDR RAM
-ATI\'s 9800 all-in-wonder pro Video card
-SoundblasterLive 24-bit

This is what I get for going Mac, and having no knowledge of what's out there.

Well, you can reuse the hard drive, optical drive, monitor, keyboard, case. I've got to run, but I will be back and put together a list (unless someone puts together a better one before then).

Ok, I might get heckled but I've been out of the loop of computer hardware for nearly 10 years and I need some suggestions as to what it would be need for this computer I've had sitting in my attic for a long while and had my son ask about it. It was then he found it wouldn't run the games he bought with his allowance but asked for upgrading and I said I would. Looking to put maybe $400.00 into it but if anyone would be willing to help with what it needs the most.

Already, I can tell probably a new Mother Board and duel core something

: K7 Triton AGP8x/Dual Channel DDR motherboard
-AMD 2600 333mhz CPU
-120 Gig Seagate Sata 8MB buffer 7200rpm hard drive
-Black Pioneer DVR-106Bk CDR-DVR106BK DVD-RW/CD-RW Combo Drive
-SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
-19\'\' viewsonic monitor
-1 gig DDR RAM
-ATI\'s 9800 all-in-wonder pro Video card
-SoundblasterLive 24-bit

This is what I get for going Mac, and having no knowledge of what's out there.

Well, you can reuse the hard drive, optical drive, monitor, keyboard, case. I've got to run, but I will be back and put together a list (unless someone puts together a better one before then).

+ 1

I'd recommend the Phenom II X3 720, with the Jetway JHA06 board, the Wintec AmpX DDR2 4GB Kit, Corsair 450vx, any case of your choice (or re-use), and finally an HD 4850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom