10,000 and 15,000 rpm HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternativedn

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I ordered most of the parts for my i7 build and the last component I need are Hard Drives. From some info I've been reading on the web, I think I want to do one smaller faster (15,000 or 10,000 rpm) HD for my OS and a second larger one for storing media. There are a few I was considering and would just like some advice as to what is better and if these HDs are compatible with my setup. Here are the ones I am considering:

Seagate Cheetah® 15K.5 73.4GB 16MB Cache

Fujitsu MBA3073RC 73.5GB 15000 RPM Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Or WD Raptor

This is gonna be my system's setup:
Case: Antec 902

MOBO: ASUS P6T

CPU: i7 902

PSU: Corsair 850W TX

Ram: 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600

GPU: Powercolor Radeon 4770

I am kind of leaning towards the Seagate cheetah 1500 because I can get a sweet deal on it off of a friend. The only thing I am worried about is that every review I read says it is an enterprise/server hard drive and I am not sure if it would work good for what I am planning. I appreciate all of your guys help in planning this rig.

They'd be compatible yes, but the SSD would be better and faster since there are no moving parts (like going from a Ball mouse to an Optical one)

the p6t does not have a onboard sas controller. You would need to purchase a sas controller card to use these drives with your motherboard.

I cannot remember if the cheetah is sas or straight scsi but either way you would need a card.

Do not waste your money.

I was talking about the Raptor being compatible...

Never heard of Seagate Cheetah's so I don't recommend it (but apparently Hefe's right.. its SAS)

Yes the raptor is sata and compatible. The other 2 would require a add on card to be used.

Sorry did not see the raptor on the list without a link. still not worth it for a raptor.

Edit: Cheetah's are generally found in high end server raid arrays and not a common workstation build hard drive.

Alright, thanks for the info guys. I did a little research on SSDs and I think I may have to get one. Do you know how long their life expectancy would be if I install my OS and a couple of often used apps on it like a games/opens office? I would still put my medie like movies/music on a regular 7200 HD. Also the OCZ one slaymate recommended says it has a combo offer for that and a SSD converter, would I need that? Anyone else have any SSD recommendations? Thanks again for the replys.

Yes you need some type of mounting converter to be able to mount a 2.5" drive in a standard 3.5" or 5 1/4" bay depending upon what your case has available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom