vista on old P4 2.8Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_ming

Baseband Member
Hi all,

My plans of building a new set has just changed slightly, and it means that i have to settle first with my old P4. Now I plan to do a clean XP install to help it from being even more sluggish, however, do you guys think it will run on Vista?

The config is:
Gigabyte Mobo
P4 2.8 Ghz - I'm not sure it it runs HT
GPU FX5500
1.2 GB DDR memory - I can upgrade into 2 GB if needed

I installed two HDs, and I plan to add another one via SATA adapter (the mobo only has 2 SATA built in). I may install the Vista on the new HD and run dual boot. My friend told me that running 3 HDs will burden my aging set, is it true? I've also installed two DVD burners already on it.

If I install Vista Home Premium, how do you think it will perform especially on multitask, and will Aero works with FX5500? Will adding memory help significantly? I will not spend my money on a new Vista disc if my old set can't handle it.

I mainly use my PC for internet, downloading, audio/video playback (no rendering/converting), office task, and other light duties.

Thanks for all your inputs.
Peter

IMO you would want at least 2gb to run vista well. For that setup I would stick with xp you could try win7 for free to see how that performs.

Hi all,

My plans of building a new set has just changed slightly, and it means that i have to settle first with my old P4. Now I plan to do a clean XP install to help it from being even more sluggish, however, do you guys think it will run on Vista?

The config is:
Gigabyte Mobo
P4 2.8 Ghz - I'm not sure it it runs HT
GPU FX5500
1.2 GB DDR memory - I can upgrade into 2 GB if needed

I installed two HDs, and I plan to add another one via SATA adapter (the mobo only has 2 SATA built in). I may install the Vista on the new HD and run dual boot. My friend told me that running 3 HDs will burden my aging set, is it true? I've also installed two DVD burners already on it.

If I install Vista Home Premium, how do you think it will perform especially on multitask, and will Aero works with FX5500? Will adding memory help significantly? I will not spend my money on a new Vista disc if my old set can't handle it.

I mainly use my PC for internet, downloading, audio/video playback (no rendering/converting), office task, and other light duties.

Thanks for all your inputs.
Peter

You meet the Home Premium requirements, so you'll be able to run Aero and whatnot..

You definitely want 2GB on Vista though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom