First Time 940 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats were I put the 80mm fan :p But it touches the heatsink so I can't close up the case. And yeah the PSU thing got me as well.. It don't think it exhausts into the case, just the heat from the PSU itself makes it down to the core contact. And that heats up the cpu, haven't OC yet. Gonna run prime for a while tonight just to make sure my heatsink is finally on right.

Case mod would be a good idea, something I'd do for sure instead of buying a new one. Place the PSU upside down and add a 250mm exhaust fan on top? Only thing is cutting, I'm sure I could find somewhere or someone but it depends on how much it costs.

Those fans are 38mm thick though... I have this case Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases and there isn't much room to slide in a fan to the HDD fan place without removing the bay themselves. Just measured and there's about 4cm of room so it would work, just a little tight.

edit: I feel incredibly dumb asking this but where is the CPU multiplier located in the BIOS? I've looked through every option and can't seem to find it. I'm using the biostar TA790GX.

Ever thought about mounting it on the outside of the case? You can put a grill on it to protect (stupid people's) fingers and it will work.

For the case mod you would use a hole saw:
HOLESAW.JPG

Just get one in the size you need.

Phenom II's do respond well to low temperatures.
Even if it isn't overheating as such, you might still get better overclocks with lower temps.

Also, more volts does tend to give more stability when the temperatures can be managed.
If you increase the volts, the temperature is going to increase. Sometimes, increasing the volts can make it less stable if it causes the temperature to rise too much.

Also, try overclocking using a combination of HTT increases and multiplier increases.

@ Trotter, found out there's a steel mill in town that does custom orders, doubt it'll be too expensive for two 25 cm holes. Unless I could find one of those saws somewhere for cheap. I'm gonna look into it more but this would be a good project to keep me busy before school starts again.

@apokalipse, My temps are fairly decent right now, after an hour an a half of prime 95 at 3.0ghz I topped out at 44-45c. I can't seem to find the option in the BIOS to increase the multiplier, Idk if I'm just missing it or what. The V12 auto overclock brought it up to 3.64 ghz stable, for about 2 minutes. But near the end it was only reaching 45-46c. I'm gonna go scan through all the option again, if I can't find it I'll be back tomorrow.

Ah ok thanks a bunch, I wasn't sure what the "custom p states" meant. Now I can finally do something :D.

Edit: So it stops booting with the multiplier at 17.5x, set it back down to 17.0 and it seems to be running fine prime fine so far. So to make it boot with a higher multiplier I'd need to add more slightly more voltage by using the Vcore option, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom